Stimulating egg laying

William1hens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
I have some pullets and my Rooster is mating with them.I know roo's have nothing to do with hens laying eggs but will it stimulate the pullets to lay

I agree with RonP.

But the good news is that your hens must look like they're getting ready to lay or the rooster wouldn't be interested. I'm guess that they're combs are getting redder. How old are the pullets?

If White Leghorns, any day! If gold or black sexlinks and other hybrids/heavy layers, maybe around 21 weeks. 6 months - 8 months for the rest. Ha ... if you're lucky. But you probably already know that. I hate waiting for them to start laying -- even after all these years. At least with the days getting longer, you won't have shorter days to contend with.

There are 2 gold sex links,1 new hamphire red and 1 light Sussex

Last edited:
My New Hampshires lay at 21 weeks ... always ... so far. But mine are almost always hatched in March or April. I don't know how being hatched in the fall will affect yours, if at all.

You've already read the article somewhere here at BYC that asks, "Why Aren't My Chickens Laying?" right? I'm not saying you have any problems at this point (19 weeks is young); you're probably doing everything right on the money. But that article can let you know that you are doing everthing you can to have them start laying as early as is physically possible.
smile.png
Then you can just sit back and relax, knowing you've done everything you can. Let me know if you want me to find the article for you. Or maybe someone else knows where it is exactly and can post the link.

Back
Top Bottom