Stinking dogs are at it again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barreds N' Tards Ranch, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Barreds N' Tards Ranch

Barreds N' Tards Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2010
    Hi there,

I could really use some advice and quick!!! It looks like when we closed up the coop for the night the gate was not latched all the way. When I came home from work I noticed the gate open and my Barred Rock starring at me with a shocked look on her tiny face. I had a very erie feeling sort of like I was standing in the middle of a deserted ghost town with the wind howling and creepy music playing. One of my dogs killed two of my Silkies not too long ago so I quickly did a head count and everyone was there.

However, my Cochin has two, 1 inch lacerations on the side of her neck cutting through all of the layers of skin. They are pretty even tears so I think this might be manageable.

My favorite Brahma, Gertrude, has the entire length of the back of her neck completely degloved. This is what I am most worried about. I called my vet to see if there was any old farm trick they might be able to recommend. Of course, living smack in the middle of Southern California, I was told to rush her to emergency right away. I thougth about that and then thought about the hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars a trip to the E clinic would cost. I love Gertie but......

Both are stable but quite. They are eating and drinking but in small amounts. Gertie is painfull particularly when she tries to peck or shake her tomatoes or squashinto small pieces. I just got back from the feed store with Vectricin spray and bandages, etc. to keep the flies off her. I also picked up some supplies to fix the lacerations. I don't care what she looks like in the end but if we can at least get some scar tissue over it I would be happy. I think that's going to be the best we can hope for.

Does anyone have any other advice on things that I can do to help them along? I would really appreciate it. I did buy some spray to help with pain and we have an additional lock on the gate now for extra assurance this does not happen again.

Thanks,

Barreds and Tards Ranch

2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I would get some of the ABT that disolves in water. You can get it at tractor supply or feed store. As far as the dogs go I would get a live trap and call the pound once they are caught. Also a paint ball gun works well (please no one be offended by this)..[​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Vebyrd, I believe these are her own dogs.

I wouldn't suture that neck closed, sutures too many germs in, but I'd probably try to pull the skin flaps together in one or two places and secure them together with whatever you have, maybe a thin strip of duct tape. I'd probably also smear Neosporin around.

Good luck to you and your birds.

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Clean wound with Band Aid Wound Wash. Its an antiseptic cleaner and an astringent. No "caine" painkillers!
    Lightly coat wound with Neo and cover with a non-stick bandage and wrap with gauze...lightly! You want to protect the wound, keep it moist and clean. The skin should granulate within a few days to a week. DO NOT pull the skin together or close. You need to let it drain out any bacteria from the dogs' saliva. Clean and rewrap at least 2 times a day. Keep it moist!! This helps cut down on scar tissue.
    Keep hew quiet and well hydrated and fed.

Ashlee

5. Barreds N' Tards Ranch

Nov 10, 2010
    Thanks so much. I found some glue for the skin for the Cochin. I too was concerned about trapping in the germs. After putting on the fixins it seems that the Cochin is a bit more relieved but the Brahma...not so much. I've put some pain killing rinse on it so hopefully that will start kicking in. Thanks for the input. It is one of my Aussies that I believe is doing the damage. I'm finding that three Aussies and a small grip of chickens is a lot of work. Rookie chicken enthusiast [​IMG]

Don't think the paint ball gun hasn't crossed my mind and I would call the pound but I work for there. Thanks again and please let me know if you think of anything. I'm really going to bummed if Gertie doesn't make it. We may be making that trip to the vet after all.

6. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Taking a chicken to the vet is sure of 2 things, a high vet bill and a dead chicken. Birds stress so easily.
    As far as the cochin...pick up some butterfly bandages. It keeps the skin together yet allows for drainage. The glue will close it off. Also, a rule we had when I was a vet assistant...with animal bites, don't let it completely close or scab for 3 or 4 days. After that you should be in the clear for bacteria drainage. Warm compresses also help bring up any pus or bacteria too...and they feel good!

7. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    sorry to hear that, i just walked in to my coop with no warning and my dog riped up everyone of them ,silkies,barred rocks,eastereggers, my loppy eared bunny,and more it sucks.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh my gosh karhernandez did this just happen, I am so sorry for your loss...are they dead or injured? [​IMG]

9. Barreds N' Tards Ranch

Nov 10, 2010
    Thank you all so much for the kind and quick advice. I'm sorry to hear of the other poster whose dog got in the coop. I'm very sorry to hear that. I always hoped I could trust the dogs but it's just a bad combo.

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, I seems the dog you trust most will be the one to kill a chicken...and it's NEVER an extra roo--it is always the favorite and best laying HEN! Darn dogs...but we love them too--no?
    Maybe you could get some of that "new skin" spray on bandage stuff for your hen? I dont know how well it works on chickens but it works great on people! Maybe? Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by