stinky face-update, not so stinky

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
I have a 7 month old EE hen that has, for lack of better words, a stinky face. Well, it's more of her chin. She looks like she just got a big drink of water, but all the time. It smells a little funky too, like there might be something going on there. I checked it out really good, and there is no signs of infection or even irritation. It looks like there is a little of the feathers missing, but this could also be because the feathers are wet and grouped together. I compared her to my other EE, just to see if maybe it had something to do with having such a fluffy feathered face, but my other EE had a nice dry face. They all freerange, and the grass they are in is wet for a good part of the day. Anyone else ever deal with something like this? In dogs, I've seen it numerous times, around the lip folds. It's know as Lip Fold Pyoderma, and it is caused by constant contact from water, like drooling or dogs that have big lip folds, and moisture gets trapped in there. But with that, you will usually see some form of active infection, or at the least, red, irritated skin. I'm thinking about cleaning it with Betadine for a while and see if that clears it up. Just not sure what would even cause this. She is otherwise very healthy and happy. It's not like she has her head in the water all the time, or is drooling.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

ETA: I could post pics, but it really just looks like a wet chin, nothing else. If you think pics are still needed, I can definately do that.
smile.png

Last edited:
Does she smell like a weird bread? Yeasty? I am wondering if she may have a yeast infection from the frou frou feathers constantly getting wet? A not uncommon issue with the pouffy-headed varieties.

I thought the same thing as CMV. Sounds like yeasty beasties to me. Wonder if you could put antifungal on her?

I went out there this evening, and looked her over again. Strangely enough, even though her chin was looking all wet still, there wasn't any smell. There also wasn't any sign of infection or irritation again either. I went ahead and cleaned it up with Betadine anyway. I just don't understand why it doesn't dry out(?) I was able to look in her mouth too, and all looked good. Here are some pics, not sure they will help, but just to give you an idea of what it looks like.
44142_blondie_chin1.jpg

44142_blondie_chin2.jpg

Her face looks really red in the first two pics, but I think that is just a closer up pic, and the red is her pigmentation.
This is what she looks like normally
44142_blondie_2_6mo.jpg

Quote:
LOL! I had to look up what you meant by fritos!
lol.png
No it doesn't smell like that, but I do know what you are talking about. There truly was no smell. Yesterday there was a little of a smell, but not like fritos, or yeast. Kind of a real faint swampy smell. More like she stuck her face in something. However, there isn't anything yucky stuck in her feathers, either, just wet. I think I will treat it like there is some sort of fungal infection, just in case. I know that her face looks really red in the first two pics, but I think that is just because thos pics are really close up. She normally has alot of red coloring on her face. Those pics were also taken with my phone, so the color may be a little off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom