Stinky Goobers got lucky! I'm a weenie.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by navasima, Dec 13, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    So - I'm kindof having a "do over". I brought the Goobers inside. [​IMG] They're so small and it's getting cold...and I like 'em where I can see 'em and laugh at 'em....

I kept 7 - 1 M Tibetan; F: 2 A&M, 1 E. White, 1 Roux dilute, 1 Tibetan, 1 golden

15 min. after they came inside, they were doing their best impresions of dead quail (laying down, legs out) and seemed pretty happy about it.
    I gave them some pine shavings w/DE in their box and some fresh alfalfa shake in the cage today. They immediately took some crazy baths....in the shake......yep: Goobers!

A week or two before laying resumes? Whaddaya think? Once they do...I will throw a few in the 'bator...see how the fertility rate is 1/6....worth a try? With a dark male and white females...maybe some tuxes? Should I get them a new boyfriend now or wait and see? Maybe a new boy and new girl to make it 2/7?...or would 2/8 be better? {Note: I do max out at 10 in the dining room!}

Thanks for any input!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Y'all left me unsupervised!!

I'm getting a Golden boy, a Golden girl and a surprise girl this week...along with a whole bunch of eggs...some for snacking...will try to hatch some.....

The adventure begins anew!!

3. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    you need MORE

4. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hmmm...now there's an idea!! [​IMG]

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:its a disease, i started with 5, now i have 30 with about 35 eggs going in the incubator today(from my own stocks) for the new years eve hatch!

6. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:its a disease, i started with 5, now i have 30 with about 35 eggs going in the incubator today(from my own stocks) for the new years eve hatch!

It's a highly productive disease too [​IMG] ! We started out with 5, now just a few years later...we have a couple hundred on the ground and and close to that in the 'bator now.....with more going in this weekend! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Knowing that I wasn't innoculated in time...I've already made arrangements to sell birds and/or eggs when I want to prevent being overrun! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by