stinky, stinky, stinky!!!

My compost pile smells horribly bad! I have to hold my breath when I dump new poo on there. I don't use the DE outside in the run.

Quote:
'they don't want to get wet either.........'

I sure wish you'd have shown up at my place around 45 years ago because I must have the most stupid chickens on the planet! They will be out in rain, sleet, snow, hail,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, everything except excessive heat, then they find the shade.

Ha....at least MINE don't like to be wet...stay inside in "foul" weather....I live in a high desert...so it doesn't rain much here, we pray for rain actually, so perhaps I mis -spoke...I am sure they can enjoy it, even though I have read a lot of posts about chickens running for cover under bushes etc....

Quote:
The poster who put out the idea of covering your temp run probably has the solution.

Peat moss tends to retain moisture, that is one of the reasons gardeners mix it in. So the moss will help retain the smell.

What about getting some sand, shoveling it in from the side. Sand will drain faster. Cover the peat moss entirely -- if you can get a couple of inches that would help you a lot. Cover the run so it doesn't get wet...and I bet that your smell will diminish.

Usually if animals can be kept fairly clean and they have room to spread out then the smell lessens. You said that you had had a lot of rain---so that would rewet your peat. Cover the run. ---
good luck with it. Tell us if you do find a satisfactory solution.

Thank you all for your help.
I will stop the peat moss, cover the run, sprinkle some lime and add some sand!
The coop itself doesn't stink. It does have a "chicken" smell, but not offensive. I stir up the pine shavings, add more, sprinkle some DE, and it is not bad at all.
When we extended the temporary run it was full with hosta. The chicks LOVE the hosta and ate every bit of it! Now all that is left is dirt. I will add the sand and hope it helps until we can get the coop and run finished. We plan to use sand in the run. It will be 6' x 12' and covered; 6' at the front and 5' at the back. I'll be able to get in there and rake up the poop.
Thanks again.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Jeanne

Quote:
Try using coarse sand in the run. I would not use peat moss because t will hold water after it starts to absorb it. Dump bags of sand at least 2" deep and you should see relief as it drains better than soil or pine litter. Also try covering the run and diverting water around it. If yo build upthe sand a couple of inches about grade that should help.

Put sand down and keep it dry - that's the solution - I have sand in my coop and run which has a roof over it - about once a week I go in and sift the sand to remove the poop - no smell at all - course sand is the answer - believe me - it's the best way to go - gotta keep it dry -
sickbyc.gif

This is my opinion. We all know how opinions are. If it smells bad, it is bad. It is my opinion that runs need to be covered. Where the soil retains alot of moisture, sand should definately be used. That said, and where that is necessary the covered sand run should be raised above grade. Water goes down hill and to the path of least resistance. If you have an uncovered or covered run that is not above grade excessive moisture leaches into the coarse substrate. Covered sand runs should still be cleaned regularly, and the top replaced every so often.
Bedding in the house should be mantained so that it remains dry, but not so dry as to be excessively dusty. The dust is an irritant to the birds among other things. If bedding, like a compost pile becomes wet you will smell an odor, but not a strong odor unless . . . the carbon/nitrogen ration is out of balance and or the bedding is not properly aerated. Where soil moisture is a problem the house floor should be above grade with a sand bottom even if you use bedding. The bedding at the soil line stays too wet and can become a bacteria or mold problem.
For the one that mentioned the compost pile smelling bad, double the carbon in the pile (leaves, peat moss, wood shavings etc.) and turn the pile a couple times and watch the smell go away. It is too wet, there isn't enough carbon, and not enough oxygen. The carbon ratio should be about 30:1.The same applies for poultry house bedding.
I hate to see hens with muddy feet, and I don't like muddy runs. It is a breeding ground for parasites and bacteria. It also stinks. If it smells bad, it is bad.

We keep a covered run to keep out the Pacific Northwest's daily rain. We throw a leaf of orchard grass in there twice a month and let the ladies scratch it around as they are most efficient. Then once a month, we rake out the hay to throw it on the compost pile and throw another leaf in there.

Works great!

Back
Top Bottom