Stock Fencing for Chickens

GGx

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2023
UK
Hi Backyard Chicken members!

I'm involved in a legal case where part of the evidence rests on a claim from the defendant that her father installed a stock fence in front of a hedge to contain his chickens. We're looking for an expert in rearing chickens who can provide a statement as to the veracity/plausibility of this claim.

Is anyone here a poultry expert who could comment on the viability of a stock fence to contain chickens ranging free in a garden?

Many thanks!
GGx

hard evidence for the court
Why is a professional land survey out of the question here? In the USA that is how these things are settled. We have records dating back as long as records exist on the property.

That fence would be a deterrent to keep chickens from crossing but any bantam or LF chicken could very easily jump that fence. Even with clipped wings.

Years ago I fenced in my flock using electrified poultry netting that is 42" tall. My gates are constructed of 48" high braced wood frames to hold 1/2" hardware cloth and the frames are hinged to wood posts. All of my LF chickens flew up to the tops of the gates and jumped out when I first enclosed them.

I clipped the primary feathers of one wing on each bird using the old "it will throw them off balance" malarky. They all jumped out again.

I clipped the primary feathers of the second wing. The majority of them still jumped out including the big line backer rooster. He's no nimble ballerina.

I then clipped into the secondary feathers of one wing of the ones that were still jumping the fence and STILL had 4 out of the 12 that were jumping out!!

So... that little garden fence would be extremely easy for the birds to jump over. Especially all the breeds shown in the pictures. Which are very cool by the way!

Last edited:
I think in a court of law, a professor presents a "knowledgeable" expert. This may be different from real life.
I seriously doubt we are talking about a trial case involving trespassing chickens...

Many academics just have "book knowledge". Practical knowledge trumps that any day. Regardless, it doesn't take an expert to know how large of a hole a chicken can squeeze through or how high of a fence a chicken can jump to the top of. It takes knowing the birds and having observed them and their behaviors to be able to give a very experienced opinion on the topic.

Has a survey ever been done? That would show true property lines.

Why is a professional land survey out of the question here? In the USA that is how these things are settled. We have records dating back as long as records exist on the property.

That fence would be a deterrent to keep chickens from crossing but any bantam or LF chicken could very easily jump that fence. Even with clipped wings.

Years ago I fenced in my flock using electrified poultry netting that is 42" tall. My gates are constructed of 48" high braced wood frames to hold 1/2" hardware cloth and the frames are hinged to wood posts. All of my LF chickens flew up to the tops of the gates and jumped out when I first enclosed them.

I clipped the primary feathers of one wing on each bird using the old "it will throw them off balance" malarky. They all jumped out again.

I clipped the primary feathers of the second wing. The majority of them still jumped out including the big line backer rooster. He's no nimble ballerina.

I then clipped into the secondary feathers of one wing of the ones that were still jumping the fence and STILL had 4 out of the 12 that were jumping out!!

So... that little garden fence would be extremely easy for the birds to jump over. Especially all the breeds shown in the pictures. Which are very cool by the way!

I agree 100%.

That fence wouldn't even slow down most medium or large breed dogs let alone the chickens in the photos.

These disputes can happen in the US as well. Adverse possession has nothing to do with where property boundaries are. Adverse possession is when someone uses land that isn't theirs so long that it actually becomes theirs. Different states have different rules about how long that is and what determines use. A Professional Land Surveyor would show where boundaries were intended if the evidence still exists. Lawyers ect. would prove land use. A judge would determine who actually owns what land. If the land has been used X(determine by state) number of years by someone other than the original owner the actual ownership of the land can change.
With OP the purpose of the fence is what might help determine who built the fence and if land beyond the fence was used by either party.
It is not really how well the chickens would be contained by it.
In the US if a fence of any type exists and property markers can not be found on the property or neighboring properties. There would need to be very good evidence that the fence was located off of the property line for it not to be used as the property line Not only is adverse possession but in a boundary survey as well.

(Married to a PLS)

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Could you put your location in your profile. Not knowing were you live makes it harder to discuss legal matters. UK is fine.
Yes, I'm UK.

Ah, I'm a tough old bird. And I firmly believe that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to stand by and do nothing. I'll fight them to my last breath if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom