"Stocking up on chickens" Covid-19 chat

I doubt this actually has anything to do with panic buying but I've been keeping track of my pet chicken Sebastopol availability and they've been backed up until may 11th and all of a sudden they just got availability until then (probably cause people cancelling orders) and even though this probably isn't the case I can't help but imagine people were panic buying and then someone told them "hey geese aren't like chickens, they lay seasonally and they barely give eggs" And then them being like "what??? I can't get giant eggs daily" And cancelling their orders, this probably isn't the case but it's funny to think lol

Hey I wouldn’t be surprised that is the case! Seasonal layers = freeloaders for some people. I don’t eat geese or ducks so unless I’m rich I don’t need ornamental birds which that is what they would be to me.

Hey I wouldn’t be surprised that is the case! Seasonal layers = freeloaders for some people. I don’t eat geese or ducks so unless I’m rich I don’t need ornamental birds which that is what they would be to me.
Yeah, also I'd like to point out most domestic ducks lay on a daily basis like chickens or some have even been know as better layers than chickens only wild ducks lay seasonally, and I agree they are freeloader, I'm soon to be a new geese owner and they are purely for ornamental and pet purposes

@Tofu the chicken Or guard geese.
My cousins geese were the best guard animals at their place. The dog loved people and never barked, which was weird for a German Shepherd Dog. But George and Martha would alert to a vehicle driving in, stop said vehicle partway up the driveway, and if anyone had the nerve to get out of the vehicle - they better have treats, lol!

My cousins geese were the best guard animals at their place. The dog loved people and never barked, which was weird for a German Shepherd Dog. But George and Martha would alert to a vehicle driving in, stop said vehicle partway up the driveway, and if anyone had the nerve to get out of the vehicle - they better have treats, lol!
Yeah some people do that, I was just saying what I planed on using my geese for, and even though they aren't guard geese they are gonna get tons of treats!

I use my guineas for that. They are my guard dogs since my dog doesn’t bark or howl or make any noise at all actually.

I just saw a post on Facebook about someone who just picked up chicks today and was wondering how to keep them warm. She turned on a heater in the room, which I guess is better than nothing. I don’t even have my chicks yet and I know how to set up a brooder. These are things you can easily find out in this day and age! Now I’m worried about those chicks (myself and others directed her to heat lamp/plates) and others that have been brought home into situations that are not ready for them. Do they know about the different types of feed? Are they checking their butts? Is the coop ready? Now my mama instinct are kicking in and I’m all concerned for the little chicks!

I just saw a post on Facebook about someone who just picked up chicks today and was wondering how to keep them warm. She turned on a heater in the room, which I guess is better than nothing. I don’t even have my chicks yet and I know how to set up a brooder. These are things you can easily find out in this day and age! Now I’m worried about those chicks (myself and others directed her to heat lamp/plates) and others that have been brought home into situations that are not ready for them. Do they know about the different types of feed? Are they checking their butts? Is the coop ready? Now my mama instinct are kicking in and I’m all concerned for the little chicks!
I have just been thinking of people that won't want them once they figure out they are a lot of work somehow it completely slipped my mind that people would get chicks and not be raising them right (should've thought if that it seems obviously now lol) I feel bad for those chicks, I really hope people are smart enough to do at least basic research like heat lamps and stuff

I spent about 4 or 5 years researching before we got our first chicken. The idea of impulse buying any animal chills me.
A few years back someone (not the parents ) bought Easter chicks for 2 children who lived in an apartment with no yard. They lived in the bath tub. Needless to say, Mom called me and begged me to take them, as they could not care for the chicks. And of course I did.

I spent about 4 or 5 years researching before we got our first chicken. The idea of impulse buying any animal chills me.
A few years back someone (not the parents ) bought Easter chicks for 2 children who lived in an apartment with no yard. They lived in the bath tub. Needless to say, Mom called me and begged me to take them, as they could not care for the chicks. And of course I did.
Oh god that's awful, I hate Easter buying too, and now we get Easter buying mixed with panic buying and it can't lead to any good, I'm so glad you were able to give them a good home though

I want to say that I would fall into the first time chicken owner during COVID. When I posted pictures of them on Facebook, multiple people commented with articles about people panic buying chickens. I didn't realise it was a thing!
Regardless, I have been lurking this site a bit (I did do research before I got mine, this site helped) and I just signed up for an account. So far I have been thankful for how welcoming and helpful everyone has been!! When I learned there was a trend of people buying chicks, I was worried people might be standoffish when trying to get help/learn. So happy that hasn't been the case!!!

Back
Top Bottom