Stop laying

Chickens don't like change and stress can cause them to stop laying.
When you did the integration, how long did you have them separate to lighten the stress of new members to the flock?
4 weeks ago. It’s been about 3 weeks since they stopped laying. I put the new hens in a dog crate in the for a few days before I let them in the coop

4 weeks ago. It’s been about 3 weeks since they stopped laying. I put the new hens in a dog crate in the for a few days before I let them in the coop
That could be why they are stressed. A few days isn't long enough for them to get used to the new members. Most people do an integration of 2-3 weeks before allowing them to all mingle together after a 3-4 week isolation to make sure the new members aren't sick or have a disease.
Another stress thing may be the size of the coop/run. Prefab coops give a set number of chickens that can fit in the coop but the set number isn't realistic.
If the coop/run size is just right for them, then the stress is just from adding the new members.
They will need time to get use to everything before they start laying again.
It is so hard to wait for them to start laying again.

That could be why they are stressed. A few days isn't long enough for them to get used to the new members. Most people do an integration of 2-3 weeks before allowing them to all mingle together after a 3-4 week isolation to make sure the new members aren't sick or have a disease.
Another stress thing may be the size of the coop/run. Prefab coops give a set number of chickens that can fit in the coop but the set number isn't realistic.
If the coop/run size is just right for them, then the stress is just from adding the new members.
They will need time to get use to everything before they start laying again.
It is so hard to wait for them to start laying again.
Thank you, the run is 20’x 15’
And the coop is 30 square feet. It is hard to wait.

Everything I read before I built the coop, is each hen needs 2 square feet, and place to roost. They get along. The older birds chase and are dominate but no violence. I spend time in the run daily and feed all of them by hand.

Everything I read before I built the coop, is each hen needs 2 square feet, and place to roost. They get along. The older birds chase and are dominate but no violence. I spend time in the run daily and feed all of them by hand.
2sqft can be small.....might depend on your climate and how weather and predator proof your run is. If they have to spend time confined to the coop, things can get dicey.
Glad they are getting along!

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @tsmith1369
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1624375962255.png

Back
Top Bottom