stopped laying

flatlick

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
hello, i have a golden commit she just turned 1 yr. started out it the fall laying eggs really good, the winter came she stopped completely and now it's mid April and she has not started laying again and from what I've read, GC normally lay all winter

Strange...it can't be an eggbound/illness because that would have killed the chicken by now. I doubt it is stress or feed because that would cause other chickens to stop laying as well. Comet/hybrid type chickens can be strange with egg laying, and they are not as reliable as heritage breeds, but it is a rarity to have one stop this early in all cases. I would try and examine the bird and feel for any bumps, but that bird should have been laying consistently. They produce upwards of 250 eggs per year.

up date, May 7th. and my golden comet still has not begun laying again. Shes a vary happy friendly bird so we are at a loss to why

I will be following this thread for replies, since we have the same issue. My Buff Orpington is the same age and was laying well up until a week or so ago, then she stopped. Maybe it is the feed? We did change the brand of lay pellets so could that be it?

She is the only young bird I have right now - the other two are well beyond laying age so I can't tell if it's just her.

Could it have something to do with the weather? It is getting warmer here. We got 4 pullets (not sure what, but probably Red Star) mid April and we were getting an average of 3.5+ eggs a day. Four days ago we started only getting 3 eggs a day and today it was down to 2! First time for that. They are free range. I'm going to keep them in a run tomorrow and see how many we get. We haven't had any change in feed or diet.

Back
Top Bottom