Stopping Bleeding, need input

Hentherapist

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2017
On Wednesday one of my Guineas injured its toe and was bleeding profusely. We caught him, and realized it was a broken claw, and the bleeding was arterial. I applied pressure, blood stop powder, super glue, and cornstarch bleeding stopped so I bandaged the toe tightly and put him in a small cage. He immediately bled through the bandage, so I repeated the same steps bleeding stopped and I re-bandaged and put him back in the small cage. He did not start bleeding again and to my surprise he has survived. His small cage is in the guineas coop and I locked up the whole flock in the coop so he was not alone. What else could I have done? I am getting silver nitrate sticks, but any other suggestions if this happens again? This bird bled so much, I am truly surprised he lived. This was not a couple drops, this was a lot of blood for a bird, lot of blood for a cat even, most any of my birds have ever bled and lived. I guess the small prayer to St. Francis helped too. Thanks for any ideas,

I use cornstarch and then wrapping it up... I had a hen do the same thing and our son thought she was going to die with all the blood loss... It actually looks like a lot of blood but it's not. Just keep an eye on it, You can use a ice cube too with a cloth to slow bleeding down.

Bleeding toes can be hard to stop. You did all of the things I would have done. Because the extremity is down, blood is going to seep when injured. It eventually stops, at least in my experience. The silver nitrate sticks may help side they cauterize the wound. Limping is normal for a time, and in my experience the toenail did not grow back.

Remove any hanging toenail, apply corn starch, spider webs (for real), silver nitrate (the best). Momma always used to say, "It's a long way from his heart."

Back
Top Bottom