Stories of your Chicken Names

Wow, so many of you have good chicken names, and good stories behind them!

I have chicken naming "rules".
1. Wait until it is sure to live before naming it. I don't reuse names, so I don't want to 'waste' a good one.
2. No pair of names. If Lucy dies a horrible death, I don't want to be reminded of her every time I introduce someone to Desi. You know they're going to ask, "where's Lucy?"
3. No food names. If a predator eats a chicken named after a food, I would feel very guilty.
4. No more than three syllables, unless there's a nickname associated with it.

I have a degree in theatre from OSU (It comes in handy when I have to "act" like I enjoy my job). Many of my chicken names are from showbiz, such as actors, characters/titles of plays, Shakespeare, and general theatre words.
There's:
Phyllis Miller (Diller)
Oberon, Bianca (Shakespeare)
Stella (Streetcar Named Desire)
Jester (comedia del arte)
Camille (Muppets)
Lughnasa, or Lu (a play)
Freznel, Soliloquy, or Lily (theatre words)

I have one Easter Egger that I named Tiger Lily because of her coloring. Four RIR'S that I couldn't tell apart so I hadn't named them. My 7 year old granddaughter came over and renamed the EE Goldilocks and she calls all the RIR's Sweetpea.

29427_gingercoop.jpg

This is Ginger, named for her color and after the lead hen in "Chicken Run." Strangely enough she turned out to be a ringleader of trouble and always plotting escape plans.

29427_shivadisapproves.jpg

This is Shiva, named because she is a light Brahma so I wanted to come up with another Indian name for her. She's quite the opposite of her name, a really sweet girl, so we call her Shiva Diva or Brahma Mama.

29427_ducky.jpg

We named our Austrolorp Ducky because she looked like a little duckling when we brought her home. Now, her personality is sweet and "just ducky!"

We have 5 wyandotes.

Red is named so because of her mostly red head (Gold laced)
The Captain was named because he turned out to be a roo (I think). Possibly he's getting a promotion to Major, because in lots of old British shows, (Fawlty Towers, etc) there is one old guy called The Major who sits around a bunch of old ladies.
wink.png

A***ole Hen we named because she tried to kill the younger chicks pretty often
Junior because she was the smallest. I recently changed her name to Special Edwina, a.k.a. Special Ed, because, well, you know. Not the brightest, even among chickens.
Martha is named after someone in my mother in law's coffee group. Just because they have always been called "the hens" in my wife's family.

Well, I shouldn't be in this thread, because my plan was to never name anything that might go on your plate, but...

I've now changed that to "only name things that might end up on your plate if they EARN a name." So because my laying 'dotte is so pushy, so in your face, and so "helpful" (in the same way that your typical busy-body is "helpful" at a church function or school fundraiser) she has earned the name "Miss Bossy Beak", "Bossy", when being referred to shortly.

Everyone else, except Rooster (because hey, he's a rooster), are just "The Chickens".

I will have had my chickens 8 weeks this coming Wednesday, and lost a couple chicks early on, then had two others killed by my elderly dachshund (what a surprise THAT was!), but I'll list 'em all and the explanations for why they were named thus:

Hillary - an Ameraucana. She QUICKLY rose to top of pecking order in the brooder, so she got A Girl In Charge Name.
wink.png
She was the dog's first catch and didn't survive it.
hit.gif

Rhoda - she was the Rhode Island Red. Uhhh.. duh..... She was the dog's second kill - this time it was obvious he knew what he was doing.
rant.gif

Rebecca - I THOUGHT she was a Plymouth Rock - Barred, so I named her something "East Coast, old-timey, Plymouth-ish." (She's really an EE, I've been told - nothing like a PR. Oh well.)
FuzzButt - Light Brahma, didn't survive the brooder and I kinda thought she wouldn't make it, so I didn't name her. But I had to call her something while I tried to keep her alive.
Matilda - Australorp, with an Ozzie-sounding name, from "Waltzing Matilda."
Greta - Black Sex Link. For Greta Garbo's sexiness.
idunno.gif
She only lived 4 days - I shouldn't have named her, but I couldn't call her FuzzButt2.
Buffy - Buff Orpington. Another "duh." However, it's for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, because she's so intrepid!
Lacey - Silver Laced Wyandotte. Yet another "duh." But it was a quick name for a struggling chick, which finally recovered. Although she's much smaller than other chicks her same age.
Greta - another Black Sex Link, but the name was hardly used the first time....
Carly - supposedly an Ameraucana, actually an EE, and POSSIBLY a roo. If my fears prove true, I'll just drop the Y from it's name.
fl.gif
Sorta named for my sister, Carlanne, who died a week before I bought the chick.
Sarah - Brown Leghorn. She looks very sparrow-like, and I found myself calling her Sarah Sparrow.
hu.gif

Bernadette - Cuckoo Maran. This is a VERY inside joke between my sister and I; a friend I had in college years and years ago when I was married to my first husband actually ended up marrying him after our divorce. She totally ignored everything I'd told her about the man (thought I was a liar) and then learned OOOPS, she was RIGHT! Her given name was Bernadette, and her maiden name was spelled similar to, and sounds very much like "Maran" and ...... well, every time I said, heard or saw "Cuckoo Maran" I just naturally.... well... you understand. I couldn't help myself.

My first chick i got was a americana i think thats what it said at the store anyways she was very lonely and she was the only one in the brooder so whenever i come and she sees me she will try to jump out of the box like every time but now i bought more chicks so shes not lonely anymore but i called my chick JUMPER all the other chicks never tried jumping out of the brooderand theres three of my new chicks that are very fast because now there old enough so i free range them and they dont know where their place to sleep is so i have to go and capture them when the sun is setting because they stay in a group at sunset so its easier and you have to be fast three of them are the fastest if they are cornered they will fly to escape from me and i am thinking "i am not gonna hurt you i just wanna take you to your coop i think they are very fast because they have been attacked many times by stray cats i used to have 18 but now i only have 14.

i am sorry i talk a lot!
And thanks for sharing! ^_^

So far I have only named rosters I have a light sussusts named Gregory and and wine dot named maverick and well one hen that is sitting on some eggs I call her old mother hen

We had (had to give him away since he was a roo) a silkie, we named him Lucky beecause he was lucky to be alive, he had gotten to the store late, and had spent over 24 hours in a van with no food, water, or heat.

Frightful got her name from being scared of everything, silly thing is though, now she is the tames bird I have.

Crackers used to be pretty tame, but now is really high strung. My son named her, I dont know why he named her that lol.

Feathers got her name because she was the first to feather out.

Dragon got hers because she is very dominant and out going. She is also my tames chick.

Nibbles got her name because she was always nibbling fingers for treats. We call her Raven now though because she is jet black.

Nugget got her name because my youngest son wanted to know where to find the nuggets on a chicken.

Blue got her name because she is a blue australorp, but we also call her cloud because her color is like that of a cloud.

Stumpy got his name because of his legs, poor thing.

I have 2 cochins I dont ahve names for yet, but my silkie has been dubbed Juicy.

Back
Top Bottom