Storing and Disposing of Mixed Permethrin

BigMoma3

Songster
May 16, 2019
TN
Hi all! I treated my birds for mites last week and wanted to do a follow up treatment. I used the concentrated permethrin spray. My question is...is the mixed solution still good to use or do I need to mix a fresh batch for every treatment? And if I do need to mix fresh, what is the most environmental friendly way of disposing the old mix? I've read the label and can't figure out either answer. One gallon is way too much for my small flock so I have a lot left over from last treatment. Thanks!

Hi there. :frow

It's still good as long as it's stored out of the sunlight. If it was stored int he sun, it becomes rendered inert... is my understanding.

I buy a ready to use one... meaning mixed down to the right concentration (like yours)... Only 32 oz and it lasted and worked for more than 2 years for my flock of 82+, 2 large goats, 3 medium dogs... used top combat mosquitoes, but discovered it works for so many other things.

You can spray your nest boxes, under your roost and so on as well.

Quite honestly... it's the same stuff used to treat homes for termites... so use it anywhere you have an issue... EXCEPT on cats.

I see you're in TN... hot temps *might* have some effect on storage longevity.

If you decide to dispose of it... maybe post it free on Craigslist farm and garden section. Or many cities have a recycling program for their residents.. where other take what they need and leave what they don't.. or they simply take it and dispose of as hazardous waste if need be.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Thanks so much! Very helpful. We haven't had high temps yet due to lots of rain so we should be good to go!

I have had a little left over and left it in the sprayer and added to it but I have a dozen coops so I can use a gallon pretty easy. I try to spray once a week for the summer months when the pests are more active.

The label on Gordon's Permethrin 10 (which is a concentrate that needs to be diluted with water), it says, "Do not hold dilutions for more than 24 hours." I always took this to mean a fresh batch would have to be used; I assumed the old batch would be rendered useless, or less effective. Unless it means something else...

I have one, one gallon sprayer exclusively for the permethrin spray. Most of the times I use it completely up but there have been times when a very little has been left over. I don't dump it out. When I refill for the next use I leave it in the sprayer and add the new mixture to it.

The label on Gordon's Permethrin 10 (which is a concentrate that needs to be diluted with water), it says, "Do not hold dilutions for more than 24 hours." I always took this to mean a fresh batch would have to be used; I assumed the old batch would be rendered useless, or less effective. Unless it means something else...
It most likely means they need to sell more product. ;)

hello is there a waiting period on eating the eggs after spraying Permethrin 11 on the chicken and if so how long is the waiting period and i have so much left of the Permethrin 11 it say 2oz per 3gallons of water! i have only 13 chickens and one coop/ rabbit barn/ dog house and i used only 1 gallon of of the 3 gallons can i save the other 2 gallows or what and i need to know about the eggs ty

Back
Top Bottom