storing eggs??

matthundley

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Where do yall store your eggs until incubation ? I am having a hard time finding a cool spot in my house thats only 55 -65 deg. Thanks

I don't have a place that cool in my house either, and since I only store eggs for up to 3 days before incubating, I haven't found it to be a problem. In the summertime, that's another issue, but right now with my house about 68-70, it's been fine. I wouldn't store them near a heat register or anything, but you get the idea!
wink.png

Storing eggs before incubation is about the only thing my basement is *perfect* for (too cool for use, too damp for storage, LOL)

Sometimes you have a room that you can shut off the heat to? Or a closet on an outside wall? If you're in a warm climate, though, probably the best you can do is to not store eggs for any longer than you have to, as hatchability will decrease faster at room temperature than at 'proper' storage temps. Refrigerated eggs will sometimes hatch too, but with a poor % usually, so unless your house is unliveably hot I think room temp is your best bet, if you can't do cool.

Remember to store them tipped, small end down, and switch the direction they're tipped in 2x a day.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ok, sounds like ill just leave them where their at, I have them on a outside wall on a shelf. Temp is about 69 , so i shoudl be ok. Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom