Storing Potatoes?

We are on day 6 of straight rain here in va. I have not been sble to work the garden in a week other than to pick a few bowls of peas in the pouring down rain for dinner. If it ever stops, I have 5gal buckets full of peas waiting to be picked and the potatoes are starting to wilt and will be ready to dig as needed.
If this proves to be a wet summer, I will have to dig them all in July which will make storage more difficult.

Your plants are beautiful and shaping up to be a bountiful harvest.
Wow, hard to believe you'll have potatoes so soon! But of course I planted mine extremely late. We've had no rain. I have an irrigation system, but the forecast has said rain for almost a week straight so I haven't turned it on thinking it'll rain, and then it doesn't. Today I finally turned it on. The potato garden I have to use a water hose and I've only watered it once.

I hope you get a break in the weather!

I came back to this thread to see what time I ended up planting my potatoes last year.

Here's an update: I planted them around the 3rd week of may and had a bountiful harvest! My only regret was that I didn't plant more. This year I am going to plant 75% of my potatoes in the second or week of May again, and 25% in the second week of April. I stored the year 2020 potatoes wrapped in paper in a box in the cool garage, but it wasn't cool for the first month they were in there. They are only just now starting to sprout a little bit, but should still stay firm for another month. I imagine if I had planted in April, I'd already have soft potatoes. They grew in part shade and I never watered them, we had extended periods of heat and drought so I think the shade is what helped them. I got 1-2 large potatoes from each plant, 2-3 small ones, and about two meals worth of "baby" potatoes from the whole lot.

I just found this thread. I'm in zone 5b, last frost date is usually mid-May. I plant potatoes after that, usually around Memorial Day. This last summer, I planted three types: Kennebec (my stand by), Caribou (new to me), and Elba (also new to me, and supposed to have excellent blight resistance). All white/russet variety.

The biggest producer was Elba, followed by Kennebec, then Caribou. I had the biggest potato harvest EVER, and have gobs of all three still in my basement that look like I just dug them, minus the dirt. The basement is probably 50-55 degrees, and I have them in a large cardboard box.

I leave them in the ground until there is a threat of heavy frost/freeze warning. The plants have usually died back so much I have to mark where they were so I know where to dig. I had a very few that had rotten spots, but it looked like something had gnawed on them. A bigger problem was the heavy rain in late summer; the Elbas especially look like they had a huge growth spurt on the tubers, at the opposite end from the stolen, when they are attached to the plant. They're fine, but have some weird wrinkles and indentations. I can water if needed, but I can't keep them from getting soaked.

One other thing I did that I will do again: I planted a lot of onions in with the potatoes. I didn't see any potato beetles at all, and I also had the best onion harvest ever. I still have some of those in a cardboard box in the basement too.

Glad to hear good things about the potato onions. I just got some starts this last October, so we'll see how they do. I have Egyptian Walking Onions (second year last summer) that exploded with topsets! The onions I dug were small, but wow, talk about strong flavor!

Let's hear it for growing your own food! :celebrate :wee

I just found this thread. I'm in zone 5b, last frost date is usually mid-May. I plant potatoes after that, usually around Memorial Day. This last summer, I planted three types: Kennebec (my stand by), Caribou (new to me), and Elba (also new to me, and supposed to have excellent blight resistance). All white/russet variety.

The biggest producer was Elba, followed by Kennebec, then Caribou. I had the biggest potato harvest EVER, and have gobs of all three still in my basement that look like I just dug them, minus the dirt. The basement is probably 50-55 degrees, and I have them in a large cardboard box.

I leave them in the ground until there is a threat of heavy frost/freeze warning. The plants have usually died back so much I have to mark where they were so I know where to dig. I had a very few that had rotten spots, but it looked like something had gnawed on them. A bigger problem was the heavy rain in late summer; the Elbas especially look like they had a huge growth spurt on the tubers, at the opposite end from the stolen, when they are attached to the plant. They're fine, but have some weird wrinkles and indentations. I can water if needed, but I can't keep them from getting soaked.

One other thing I did that I will do again: I planted a lot of onions in with the potatoes. I didn't see any potato beetles at all, and I also had the best onion harvest ever. I still have some of those in a cardboard box in the basement too.

Glad to hear good things about the potato onions. I just got some starts this last October, so we'll see how they do. I have Egyptian Walking Onions (second year last summer) that exploded with topsets! The onions I dug were small, but wow, talk about strong flavor!

Let's hear it for growing your own food! :celebrate :wee

Interesting about the onions and potatoes. I’ve read conflicting info about planting them together. I definitely like planting (and eating) onions though! Last year was my first time growing potatoes and I thankfully had no pest issues.

I have walking onions too! I love love love them because I can usually start pulling up walking onions in February. This is year 3 with growing them, but I don’t know the variety. My walking onions are still working on taking off because I’m guilting of eating the big ones 🤷🏻‍♀️ 😁 I also buy green onions once or twice a year and re plant the white parts. If left alone they can grow a decent sized bulb, about the size of a golf ball. Usually I just keep reharvesting the tops. I actually don’t think I’ve bought any since spring of last year.

It is so rewarding growing your own food. My goal is to grow 80% of my own food but I was at less than half last year.

80%... that's a fantastic goal! Good for you! I'm aiming for 50%, realizing that may or may not be attainable this year. ("May or may not"... well, that covers it! What other option is there? :gig )

Chickens were a big step forward. Mostly for eggs, a source of protein, but also for poop to enrich the soil. I had the BEST compost this year. None of it will go to waste, either, as I have one garden that is very sandy, and one that is clay. Compost helps with both. The potatoes are in the sandy garden. :)

That's interesting about regrowing green onions. I might give that a try.

80%... that's a fantastic goal! Good for you! I'm aiming for 50%, realizing that may or may not be attainable this year. ("May or may not"... well, that covers it! What other option is there? :gig )

Chickens were a big step forward. Mostly for eggs, a source of protein, but also for poop to enrich the soil. I had the BEST compost this year. None of it will go to waste, either, as I have one garden that is very sandy, and one that is clay. Compost helps with both. The potatoes are in the sandy garden. :)

That's interesting about regrowing green onions. I might give that a try.

I have no expectations to grow 80% by next year, but I’ll still do and grow and much as I can! Last year I grew bush beans instead of pole and had an abysmal bean harvest. I also battled crows in my corn and drought. I hope to manage at least two of those three things this year. I also chose a more disease resistant and drought tomato and I struggled with blossom end rot. My potatoes were actually my best harvest. I got about 40-50 pounds but did have to buy another 50 pounds to supplement.

How do you manage all of your poop compost? I struggle to have enough browns to mix with 💩 so most of the 💩 goes to waste! I scoop it from the poop board and dump it in a pile outside.

Ah, chicken poop, how do I love thee...

I have as many leaves as I care to rake up, so the browns part is whatever I get done. Also, I have a lot of grass/field that we don't mow, so I rake up thatch. That works great as a weed barrier mulch too.

Last summer, I learned about the Berkeley method for compost. Big pile, let it sit for about 4 days to get started, then turn every two days to mix it up and aerate. I had usable compost in about 25 days. Before chickens, I did the cold rot/let it sit for months method. Last summer I had enough to give a load to a friend. (Best friend; compost is like gold to me!)

I got some impressive -- to me! -- arm muscles! They've gone back to flab now. :lau

Back
Top Bottom