Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
Houston. We have a problem. Its a not uncommon problem.
17131068809416229222524882679547.jpg

Ground isn't level, frame isn't square, and the boards themselves are both old and have previously been used for framing concrete, so they received uneven contact with moisture for an extended period. The boards are crowned in every dimension.

Two fixes:

One) apply Leverage such as a pole clamp. Pole clamps are great when you've got a second person to stand at the end and put just enough pressure to get things to line up absolutely perfectly. We are not doing that kind of work here and I'm alone. So we are going to use gravity as my second set of hands. That's option Two)

17131079780805459282531643030728.jpg

Not great. Certainly acceptable for a fast and dirty. Yes the frame has been flipped over so it is now right side up and ready for cattle panel install. I should probably say something like don't try this at home but of course we are. Please use a second person. If you haven't got a second person use the tractor I was too lazy to turn on and move over. If you don't have a second person or a tractor, use several levers, or at least one very good one. No your folding ladder does not count.

Last edited:
Houston. We have a problem. I'm not uncommon problem.View attachment 3801077

Ground isn't level, frame isn't square, and the boards themselves are both old and have previously been used for framing concrete, so they received uneven contact with moisture for an extended period. The boards of crowned.
There's always something.

You'll work it out. 👍🏾

Two answers.

One. I'm going to be dragging this thing around with my tractor. My tractor doesn't have Forks. That means I need something to resist tension applied to one end.

Two. Cattle panels stay upright because their ends are in tension or in this case, compression. That compressive Force is going to try and warp the walls of my frame outward, more oval like. We are going to fix both issues very quickly, with some 2x4s and some shorter screws. I don't actually have those screws out yet so there will be a brief pause in the photography

Left the phone in the sun - its overheated. Also, out of Lumber. Will need to grab two 2x4x8s, cut them to 95.5", and drop them into place later. On maybe 3. Undecided, likely overbuilding.

Why 95.5"? Because my cattle panels are about 1/4" thick - so leaving a gap of about 1/2" on either side allows a pocket for the overlapping cattle panel to slip down into. Picture after the phone cools.

Last edited:
The corner detail I promised showing the pocket for the cattle panel.
17131136098522117542097994181418.jpg

And the overall base framing with the two ties added to prevent it from warping apart as well as the ties in the front so I can tell it. Undecided as to whether I want to use a tow ball or a simple Clevis honestly, leaning towards the Clevis.
17131137371844580994169672790627.jpg

And view opposite.
17131137925408772895538722018918.jpg

OK, needs a front and back - and I need materials for that. Not using the cattle panels to do them. Could, but would still need hardware cloth or something - and I need a solid wall on one side anyways for inclement weather protection. So, sometime this week I'll hook up the trailer and go to the big box store.

We'll see what they are discontinuing / broken / discount.

Back
Top Bottom