Strange behavior today after first eggs yesterday

foweler

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Chico, CA
I found my first two eggs yesterday morning and I don't know if they were both laid by 1 bird and I just missed it the day before or if two birds just started laying the same day.

What I do know is that today my RIR is behaving very strangely. She's all fidgety with a sense of urgency that isn't her normal behavoir. She's outside making a lot of noise right now.

Is this normal for a chicken when they first start laying?

Could she be having a problem like being egg bound?

Should I do something and what?

Help!

Sounds like she need to lay one but isn't sure how. I just got my first egg today so that's a newbie guess. Will be interested in what experience will say about this. Good Luck

She could just be a little nervous about this whole egg business. She may feel the egg coming and not be real sure about what it all means.
Just keep an eye on her.

I was hoping its just uncertainty. She's not acting sick, just nervous. She's actually letting me approach her in broad daylight which is out of character.

It could be that my Light Brahma has started laying at eggsactly the same time because she's acting crazy too now.

I hope the noise won't be a daily occurrence.

Quote:
Sorry, the egg song is something you'll have to get used to. My girls have been laying almost a year now and very few of them lay without the egg song. Most of them sing it loud and clear, the rooster joins in and if it goes on too long, so do their sisters.
roll.png

ETA: And I forgot about Brigid. She sings it before laying, after laying and sometimes when she's merely thinking about laying.
roll.png

Last edited:
Sorry to tell ya...but my girls all chime in each time one of them lays an egg. Even the roos start the laying song. It's loud, but I'm used to it. To me it's like the sound of a slot machine just before it gives you coins.

They do act restless before they lay.

Ed-

I have put her in the nest box 2 or 3 times and she stays for a minute and jumps out. She has jumped up onto a table under the kitchen window a few times and made a fly up towards the window once, startling my wife who was at the sink. She let my hold her on the table for a while and then I put her in the nest again....no go.

I guess I could close the coop door but I hate to shut anyone in when they love pooping on my patio so much.

Back
Top Bottom