Strange chicken behavior

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aissak, Jan 2, 2013.

1. aissak

aissak Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    Niantic Illinois
    I have one strange chicken who stands outside the barn and won't come in at night. she has been strange since we got her and always a runt, She has been ill twice and I have nursed her back to health. Do you think she could have poor vision and can't a find the coop door?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    :welcome glad you joined. :) she could but she might just not like going in.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Is there a possibility that the others are picking at her and keeping her from going into the coop?

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Is this by any chance a crested breed like a silkie, polish or houdan?

[​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I wonder if maybe your chicken gets picked on and doesn't want to go to the coop. Chickens have a pecking order and will turn on what they perceive as a weaker chicken. Yours, haven been sick twice and on the small side, might be at the very bottom of the pecking order and reluctant to enter. Just my thoughts. Hope she comes around.

6. clfromok

clfromok Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Hastings Ok
    Im new at this so don't know about vision? I had a big beautiful Leghorn that was almost to laying age when I got her. She got along with everyone else & didnt get picked on or anything as she was bigger than most. About two weeks she stopped going in the hen house, at night. We couldn't find her the first few days, then my son went to close the coop door one night, & found where she had been hiding. She was up in the tree that was by the door of the coop, couple of feet over my head! I worried as it was starting to get pretty cold. Tried to get her to go in every night but she wouldn't. She would go higher up when my son would try to get her. Unfortunately some predetor got her.
    That's the only one that's done that, thank goodness.
    Oh gosh I almost forgot WELCOME to BYC aissak!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Do you put her in each night?

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by