Strange Egg Coating

19marvinn

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015
I got my first egg today! I cleaned it off and it changed colors when it was wet. It went to the dark brown like seen in the grocery store. Then when it dried again, it went back to the pale brown. Why does it do that? is it normal?

It looks coarse...could just be that the shell is not complete and its missing the coating that keeps the moisture out.

It looks coarse...could just be that the shell is not complete and its missing the coating that keeps the moisture out.
is that bad!?
barnie.gif

Usually just an anomaly. Ive had it happen with my eggs from time to time. Usually happens with new layers. Most eggs will look a little darker when wet though

Couple of my Australorps constantly have those kind of eggs, it's almost like a pale dusting of calcium, more on matte than glossy finish when you compare it to a photo paper.

I got my first egg today! I cleaned it off and it changed colors when it was wet. It went to the dark brown like seen in the grocery store. Then when it dried again, it went back to the pale brown. Why does it do that? is it normal?
Completely normal....many eggs look to be a different color when wet vs when dry.
You will come to learn that there are many normal variations in shell texture, pigment, and bloom.
Congrats on your first egg!

Back
Top Bottom