Strange egg thing then no more eggs

Suejordn

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
Hi everyone, I posted about my silky laying a very strange Eggy stringy thing last week. She was fluffed up and sick that day after laying the strange substance. A little background information- it was her first time laying again after being broody. But since that day she seems normal again but no more eggs. And she’s really quiet, usually she would sing her egg song proudly and loudly every day. I checked where she was roosting this morning and her droppings looked a bit watery and on the light greenish side. She’s acting normal though. She’s out in the rain packing and eating and with her flock. Do you think she will ever lay again? Or did that strange egg laying day ruin something in her system? Oh and the reason she’s been lying every day is because she still a poet. I believe she’s about nine months old and has been laying faithful since 6 1/2 months old. This was her first time being broody. We broke her of it and it took about a week. And then a week later is when she laid the strange egg substance. I knew she was going to lay soon because she started singing her egg song about two days before she laid that strange egg substance. Thank you in advance for any insight you might have for me

Here's a link to one of your other threads that has photos.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/strange-egg-thing-and-chicken-not-well.1432128/

To me the "egg thing" looked like several membranes with albumen. If she were mine I would direct dose her with poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight a couple of times a week. In addition to that, I would give her 1/2 Caltrate tablet 3-5 days (no more).

It may just be a glitch with her coming back into lay after being broody.

Photos of current poop may be useful. Consider getting a fecal float to see if worms may be an up and coming issue as well.

Ok, thank you. I’ll look up those items you mentioned. I don’t have any on hand. I hope she lays again. It just seems funny and it was a week ago yesterday and still nothing!
Here is a picture of her droppings from last night.

Attachments

• 56CFC622-4002-4FC7-9AF8-7095721BDC63.jpeg
    56CFC622-4002-4FC7-9AF8-7095721BDC63.jpeg
    671.8 KB · Views: 1
Ok, thank you. I’ll look up those items you mentioned. I don’t have any on hand. I hope she lays again. It just seems funny and it was a week ago yesterday and still nothing!
Here is a picture of her droppings from last night.
Droppings look o.k. to me. I would see how she does with the supportive care.

Back
Top Bottom