Strange poop/internal organ in henhouse. Chicken acting out of it

Sarah2020

Songster
Dec 26, 2020
Help! I went outside to the henhouse to collect eggs and found this. At first, I thought it was a poop, but it almost looks like an internal organ. When I went to check on all of the chickens, everyone looked fine, except for one who was hiding in the bushes. Nothing seems physically wrong with her, but she is acting somewhat lethargic.

She is an Easter Egger hen. That’s about three years old. I haven’t been able to witness a poop yet. But she is drinking water and walking on her own. She just seems to be slower when she walks. More careful and as though she doesn’t feel well.

We have no vet options for chickens so I’ll need to care for her entirely from home. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6226.jpeg
    IMG_6226.jpeg
    713.3 KB · Views: 62
Could possibly be a blood clot... I've seen some pretty gross pictures of eggs that were basically entire blood clots once opened so maybe she had something go wrong during the laying process?
Is her vent clean? Eyes and earlobes bright? Electrolytes might give her a little bit of a boost if there was blood loss or shock; possibly some yogurt high in probiotics if she appears well hydrated and passing poop but I don't know too much about giving probiotics to a chicken in potential gastric distress...probiotics might do more harm than good at that point. Pretty well at a loss for suggestions otherwise. :(

Back
Top Bottom