Strange skin disease in Brabanter Pullet - PICS

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
My Brabanter pullet was acting very lethargic today. Usually she's a spaz. I picked her
up and examined her to find a brown crust covering all of the skin under her wing.

The stuff looked like caked on food so I tried to wash it off. Most of it came off but
there are areas that appear to be pussy and beneath the skin. I examined her completely
and she seems to have this all over her body. It has an odor like meat bird poo or wet
food. There is no green color or evidence of a fungus.

None of my other birds are showing any symptoms. She is usually housed with my silkies,
Spitz hen, and polish silkie crosses. They are all fine.

This chicken escaped the barn and was stuck outside during several thunderstorms 2
weeks ago. I don't think it related but figured I'd mention it.

She is suffering right now. I know this just from how calm she is. She did eat something
but passed out in my meat birds dish. I will cull her immediately if I need to but was hoping
someone here would know what this was.

Here are the pics:

P1010100.jpg

P1010101.jpg

P1010102-1.jpg

P1010103.jpg

P1010104.jpg

P1010105.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010107.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1010110.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That was a photobucket typo as I tried to get this post up quick. I know I have a rep
for being a joker but this isn't a joke.
sad.png

Are there any sores or raw areas in her mouth? I'd guess an epidermal fungal infection with secondary bacterial infection. I would think that at this point Miconazole ointment wouldn't do any more damage, regardless. Aspirin/electrolytes/vitamins and extra protein, of course.

Thank you for posting the shots, hopeful that the Dons show up and school us, pretty quick, here.

(I'd probably use Tylan as well).

Good Luck!

My wife just got home from work and looked at her. She had a similiar opinion
but is used to seeing stuff like this on humans, not chickens.

I had to cull her. She was falling over and in extreme pain. I doubt she would
have made it through the night. In the last 4 hours she went from ranging around
to almost dead.

No matter how many times you have to cull a sick bird it never seems to get any
easier. Poor girl. She had a good, yet very short life.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Sorry to hear that. But, again, thank you for posting the shots as they may be useful in some future diagnosis.

Take Care.

Quote:
That was a photobucket typo as I tried to get this post up quick. I know I have a rep
sad.png

I apologize. I know it was serious, but the troll threw me off. I'm sorry that you had to cull her
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
sad.png

I apologize. I know it was serious, but the troll threw me off. I'm sorry that you had to cull her
sad.png

No apology is neccesary. When I reviewed the original post and saw that troll my
jaw dropped. My camera repeats pic numbers then photobucket updates them.
The troll was 102. I needed 102-1. That was a pic I posted on the mascot thread.

When you have chickens, especially as many as I do, this will happen. I'm hoping none
of my other birds are affected by this.

Back
Top Bottom