Strange thing in nest box. Should I worry? Icky picture.

RoyalChick

Henpecked
Premium Feather Member
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone know what this is? It was in the nest box today.
I have 3 laying hens just over a year old and 2 pullets. Everyone seems fine but I haven’t checked vents yet as Maggie is in the box laying.
It is much smaller than an egg and has a rubbery consistency. I sliced it open and it looks like a disorganized organ. It doesn’t smell and the inside isn’t runny.
Apart from watch for sickness is there anything I should do? What could it be?
3634BCB5-239B-4059-ABAD-270AE04E4787.jpeg
2CF62B1D-733F-4D52-8544-29D73987F617.jpeg
AC6233D5-4A12-4063-A4AB-8147675B67AB.jpeg
CFCD7CC5-3504-49D0-BB3F-2D821A258863.jpeg

Ugh. I think what I took was from yesterday and now there is another one today. Still everyone seems fine. @DobieLover, @Shadrach any advice knowing it is the second one?
If it was me, I would take her to see a vet.
One lash egg happens from time to time. More than one and there is a problem. It may just be an infection and you could probably get treatment advice here on BYC with regard to which antibiotics are best suited for such problems but I would rather get a vet to check her and prescribe.

Last edited:
If it was me, I would take her to see a vet.
One lash egg happens from time to time. More than one and there is a problem. It may just be an infection and you could probably get treatment advice here on BYC with regard to which antibiotics are best suited for such problems but I would rather get a vet to check her and prescribe.
I just called my cat vet but he doesn't do chickens - I have left a message for his colleague who does but isn't in until Tuesday.
Looking for other options.
I still can't figure out who is sick.

Back
Top Bottom