1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange, very interesting comb. What do you think?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wbruder17, May 27, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a 3 week old Polish crested/ Brown Leghorn cross chick. I'm pretty sure its a cockerel, but interest is in is comb. It starts off as a single and then transitions into a very pink, DOUBLE comb. One right next to the other. I have not seen or heard of a comb like this. The other chick I hatched has a black comb that looks like it might be starting to double, bit not nearly as pronounced.

Any comments?

2. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    ld have produced a Buttercup comb look-alike

3. newgoosegirl

newgoosegirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    I guess that's a mix of the duplex(polish) and single comb(leghorn)?

That sounds really cool!

4. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    any pics?

5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:That is typical when crossing a single comb breed with a duplex comb breed. You can get all kinds of combs from the cross. The duplex comb is incompletely dominant over the single comb so you get a wierd looking comb. I have produced numerous heterozygotes and none of the combs look alike. They have different shapes.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by