Strangely shaped egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by [email protected], Aug 25, 2010.

1. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    What does it mean when an egg is shaped funny? I usually get about 8 eggs a day, and about 4-5 days ago, I started getting only 7, so I think one of them has been hiding her eggs. But I can not find them anywhere, so then I was wondering if she was bound. They all act fine, but this am I got an egg that was shaped like an egg, but, kind of curved and hourglass'ish. So does anybody know what that means, if anything, since she used to lay perfectly normal eggs...? [​IMG] jennifer

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Was it larger than normal? Could just be she squeezed like heck to get it out! Kind of like cone headed babies.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  3. jennifer@couplandtx.org

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    No, it wasn't squeezed, but I swear that that is the pullet who has been bound, b/c today, I got 8!! YEAH... [​IMG] I'm thinking that it was stuck or something, but she's had eggs b/f, weird. jennifer

4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Songster

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Sounds like she was on the verge of being truely eggbound.

Make sure they are getting plenty of cool water to pass those eggs. Its been so hot this summer.

I am adding sunflower seeds early, cause the girls have slowed down but haven't stopped laying while they are going thru their molt this year. I'd rather they took 3 weeks off and rest themselves up. So sunflower seeds and cat food for extra protein (because of molt). The oil in the seeds makes for easier egg passage.

5. jennifer@couplandtx.org

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    Great info. So my chicks were March babies, so will they molt this year? - since they are only about 5 months? They are white leghorns. What does the molt entail? How long does it last? I am a first time chicken owner. THey free range all day and go to the coup at night. All 8 of a straight run happened to be pullets - can you believe it~! Not one roo. Anyway, any info is appreciated. jennifer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by