Straw bale coop?

I've thought of a straw built coop, but it would be like the other poster said-re-bar with bales, chicken wire and stucco on the inside and outside. It would be more as an alternative to a wood coup, not so much to save $$.

the original question/statement was that it would be a temporary winter shelter..

Make some sort of support structure to lean the bales to and they will not shift and fall.. you can also make the roof out of straw with some added support..(plywood or 2x6) the span would be the governing limitation..

your mites and ticks are not a winter problem,, they show up more when it warms up outside..

no predators ever "blasted through" our straw structures..
You might get a rat or weasel, but you get them in any coop if they can get in..

When I was a kid a long time ago the farmers used to build wooden frames and then blow the straw from the threshing machine over the framework and that is where the pigs would spend the winter..

Could be done and would be warm probably, but the associated problems would outweigh any benefits. Maybe you should consider a tire and dirt coop. Tires are free, but there is considerable work to pack the tires. People actually build houses this way. If I could get the time a small yurt would make a cool coop.

It can be done. If its just temporary and you cover with plastic, it won't be up long enough to cause a mold problem. If you want to do so for permanent, a nice roof with plenty of overhang, a cement footer/foundation and wooden frame would be advisable. Then place your bales firmly and tightly, cover with strong woven wire and finally cover with either a cob mix, or just scrap lumber, to protect from blowing rains.

I was just talking about a temporary winter structure. when spring arrives and mites/bugs would be a problem tear it down and use the bales as whatever you want maybe cover bare spots and lay grass seed or whatever. But strictly a winter temp structure.

Last edited:
If you want to do it, be REAL careful tying it together so it can't collapse (I still truly would not do it for a walk-in sized coop unless it's supported by a proper timber frame -- too much danger to you and to chickens) and remember it WILL grow mold, so there is the possibility of respiratory problems.

WIndbreak shelters made from horses out of 800 lb big square bales of straw will grow mold by springtime, and they're MUCH better ventilated than a stacked straw 'coop' would be.

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom