Straw bales under raised coop in winter?

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
My 4x8 coop is built on a trailer. Would there be any benefit in putting straw bales - or bagged up leaves? - under it for insulation in the winter? I've read of people in mobile homes doing this. I have about 4" of hemp on the floor of the coop and plan to add more hemp or pine shavings in about a month. My husband has also suggested securing a heavy duty tarp to the west side, and perhaps east and south as well. I am planning to NOT heat or light the coop.

We will be moving the coop/run up by the house for the winter. We are on a hill with predominantly north and west winds; it can be pretty cold and snowy here in Michigan. The pop door and people door are on the north side of the coop. The ventilation openings are on the north and south sides. Roosts are positioned so that the through ventilation is above the chickens' heads. I have three Black Australorp pullets and a Buff Orpington cockerel, all 6.5 months old.

I live in Wyoming and one of my coops is a camper, so I have a bit of experience with wind proofing... first I probably wouldn’t insulate with straw bales, going by my chickens they won’t need it. The most important thing for me was blocking the direct wind. I made a little entry way around the pop door to block the north wind and parked it near some trees to block the west wind. All of the windows and vents get rubber covers or wood flaps that I can close when needed.

I like the tarp idea, I may do that to skirt the bottom of the camper, it did get some snow under there last winter.

If you get strong winds you might need to get a stake and chain your coop down so it doesn’t blow over. (That happened with my new coop while it was under construction :()

I don't see what purpose putting straw bales or leaves would do. You do not heat your coop so you are not trying to keep heat in. The vents will allow for air to move through the coop to keep it dry. The inside of the coop should be about the same temperature as outside.

You did not say anything about whether you have a run or not. I do winterize my run a bit. The run has a roof now but I used to toss a tarp up there. I cover 3 sides of my run with clear vinyl to give the birds a wind free area to hang out in.

I see where the mindset is for that would help keep things warm but really I think it would probably be a create more problems than help. And from what I've always read a certain amount of airflow under the coop actually helps keep the interior warmer

I don't see what purpose putting straw bales or leaves would do. You do not heat your coop so you are not trying to keep heat in. The vents will allow for air to move through the coop to keep it dry. The inside of the coop should be about the same temperature as outside.

You did not say anything about whether you have a run or not. I do winterize my run a bit. The run has a roof now but I used to toss a tarp up there. I cover 3 sides of my run with clear vinyl to give the birds a wind free area to hang out in.
I agree with your statement of the inside of the same temperature as outside but only to a certain point. In places where it gets -20 or lower the coop needs to be warmer. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that being in Virginia
I will say though a properly ventilated coop if the set up is correct can actually feel a little bit warmer inside but outside

The mice will love it!
Yeah, I thought that might be an issue. My idea was to keep the floor of the coop warmer, or maybe less cold.

I plan to put some clear tarps on the west side of the run. I have heavy duty tarps over the top of the run, which is built out of the pipe framing of a green house, covered with chicken wire. It should handle the snow well, and I can reach it easily enough to clear it off if need be. The east side of the run will be about 3 feet from the garage wall. I will probably cover half of the north side with something as well. The south side of the run is the coop.

I agree with your statement of the inside of the same temperature as outside but only to a certain point. In places where it gets -20 or lower the coop needs to be warmer. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that being in Virginia
I will say though a properly ventilated coop if the set up is correct can actually feel a little bit warmer inside but outside
I live in NW Montana. We often have temperatures in the -20s. My chickens do not seem to be bothered by the temperatures at all. Their food and water is kept in the protected run.

Back
Top Bottom