Straw vs. wood chips

Quote:
I can't see why the poplar would be a problem. Cedar and walnut have soom toxic properties which would cause me to avoid them but other natives should be ok - but I'm no expert.

update... so i put hay in half my nesting boxes. today was the most eggs in a while 4. they used two boxes with two in each. they were boxes with hay on the shavings. maybe they hate the shavings just as i had thought.

Used pine shavings for the last 6 months. Usually leaves the coop really dusty and is a pain to clean out. Coop has wood floors and vinyl flooring. Used wheat straw today... Wheat straw is readily available and takes only 1/2 a bale to get the coop just right compared to 2 bales of pine shavings (thats $2 vs $10)
yesss.gif
.... The whole flock wasn't sure how to act initially... But they are loving it now... Hopefully wheat straw will better...

Rather old thread, or so it appears, but for me, I have found straw on the floor and under the roost and grass clippings from the lawn in the nest boxes to work best. Of course both are free to me, so it is rather a given.

Back
Top Bottom