Strawberry Bed Netting - Pollination?

drewskimac

Songster
6 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Siloam Springs, AR
Hello all,

This is the first year that I have covered my strawberry bed with bird netting to protect the berries from birds. The bed is covered in blossoms, but i'm wondering... will they still be pollinated when covered with the half-inch mesh netting? I know the wind will do some, but i'm not sure if the bees will go for them or not.

Bees should still hit them... and other crawling things like ants and such.

I thought about covering mine... but decided to plant enough for us all instead. Also, instead of being frustrated by all the "tasted" berries that were almost the perfect ripeness... I simply pick them and toss em to the chickens. win, win, win. :)

Strawberry season is almost here! :wee

I love your thought process! I would do the same... except, I live with my mother, and it is her berry patch and garden - i'm just here to do 100% of the work and let her pick and consume the fruits, LOL. In other words, she isn't interested in sharing the strawberries with birds.

Bees should still be able to get through the mesh. If it turns out to be an issue then I think it should work to remove it when there isn't much fruit and then cover it when the fruit is starting to ripen.

Large slugs are what eat mine, it's so gross. Thankfully the chickens don't mind slug-slimy, half eaten strawberries.

I have used half inch mesh with no problems with pollination before. Since we moved, I haven't started a strawberry patch here but I did transplant some of my strawberry plants in a large pot and they are growing like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom