Stray chicken. She's a beauty! Need opinions.

I know.. I thought about that. Read that chickens will eat hamburger, basically anything they can get their beaks on. I'm just so frustrated. And sad. And the dog is a little thing. Not like a big bad wolf. Just comes for sport. Grrr. If I could get my hands on it I wouldn't need a gun or anything else. And I love dogs! My dog got my neighbor's chickens and when we realized what he was doing we made sure he couldn't leave our yard. I know this dog has to be taking home trophies... at least one chicken we never found. Stupid mutt.

Last edited:
Have you confronted the owner. Perhaps if they knew you had a gun they might try to keep mutley in. I know it is awful to see your chooks slaughtered like that. We had a dog attack here, the mongrels cleaned out my young ones. Didn't even eat them. My dogs sounded the alarm, but for the most part of it , were completey confused. They know not to touch mums chooks.

Very cool story. Love it!!
thumbsup.gif

Bought some meal worms (dried) for the chicks. They LOVE them! And my little boys love giving them to the chicks. Soooo funny to see the chicks running around the brooder for them.

Well, just found this thread and read the whole story in one sitting. :lol:
God sent that bird into your life to get you through a tough time. Refocused you onto something wonderful. Things are working out wonderful for you. You can truly count your blessings. one chick, two chick :p

I hope next year I get to experience the broody hen like you did..... except I want my girls to lay in the coop. I am building a Woods Open-Air front coop. Just got a rooster too so we will see next year.

I was so mesmerized by your story. It is early but I feel like a just read a really good book and am relaxed enough to sleep despite recovering from a bad hip injury. Thanks for the well told story!!! ;)

That is so sweet!! Thank you. I'm glad my story could be a blessing to you. That is very humbling.

I would prefer Gretel laid in the coop but I guess you can take the girl out of the wild but not the wild out of the girl. Lol plus I'm a bit of a pushover.

Hatching out chicks is so fun. I have chickens coming out of my ears! Makes up for losing my big chickens a bit. I have 3 red hens left and Gretel. I made a mistake not putting her first batch in a brooder. But being games/bantams they can escape anything that tries to get them. They fly so fast! And they forage in the woods during the day. So that mean dog is out of luck. We are redoing the fencing so that it will be tall enough they can't get out. Dont want anything to happen to these new chicks.

Will post new pics as I get them! Keep in touch!! :) And I hope you recover quickly!
~Joanna

No thank yall!! I love my BYC family! You guys have given me so much encouragement over the past months of going through the bad breakup. I appreciate it so much. Who'd have thought I'd get blessed SOOO much just by buying 6 little chicks at TSC?! God works in mysterious ways! :)))

Back
Top Bottom