stray dog

Excuse me all but from my point of view you all missed the most important point! This dog ( especially Husky that in a zoological point is the most genetically close to gray wolves) is a real treat not only to chickens and outer life stock but also to people! This dog could wound severely a little child or even grown man! In my world this dog would be eliminated immediately ! And if I have to give answers and explanation afterwords, so be it! My children comes first!

What makes you think it's a threat to people?

A dog growling at a stranger trying to take it's food away isn't abnormal dog behavior. It's not ideal behavior, but it's not unexpected. Getting bit while trying to take a meal away from a strange dog is a bit like getting bit while trying to break up a fight between two strange dogs.

Also, your average pet/show grade husky isn't much closer to grey wolves than a labradoodle is. If this post was in Alaska and it was someone's loose sled dog, I'd agree with you.

1. Try to explain this to a child that is trying to save his chicken from this dog.
2. Husky is more related to wolves than a Chihuahua, altho the 2 dogs belongs to the same species Canis (lupus) familiaris , and it is true that all dogs descendant from the Wolf, but there are breeds that are more genetically close to wolf than other.
( I have M.Sc in zoology I know something about animals :))

Last edited:
Once again place the blame on the dogs owner. our state has a leash law but out in the country it's rarely enforced everyone wants to live in the country one of the first things they do is let their dogs and cats run lose. and the other problem is animals being abandoned in the country I have had to deal with this several times. one person even left the collar on with their address on it no numbered rabies tag just an address I took the dog to that address 35 miles from my farm and was told they moved to a city in the southeast part of the state that weekend my farm of course was on the so way they dumped the dog on our road never did find them and another trip to the dog pound for me.

Sheriffs dept in my rural area of Texas told me to shoot them then call and make a report.You have the right to protect your livestock

Thanks for your responses to my post! I really appreciate all the good advice and good words.

Update: the stray husky ran down the street to a park where my kids were playing and acted strangely (running up to them, then growling and running away). They know better than to mess with a stray dog and headed straight home after encountering it. I called local Animal Control and they picked it up. Yesterday I called and AC gave me the owner's name, phone number and address. I live in suburban Los Angeles, so wouldn't have felt comfortable shooting the dog. Our houses are close together and neighbor's kids play in their backyards. Plus I just didn't have time... it ran into the backyard, jumped the fence, and got into the coop in minutes. I threw rocks at it trying to keep it away from the hens and it was running around the back yard really fast. I'm a good shot, but doubt I would have hit it anyway. I just feel lucky that I saw the dog run in the backyard and was able to save the rest of the chickens!

So now I'm screwing up the courage to call the owner. I live in a place with a lot of gang activity and hear gunshots regularly. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to contact the owner. I will kill the dog though if it comes back (and they are such a smart breed, so I imagine that's a real possibility). The coop is predator-proof (as long as the kids don't leave the gate open), but it still makes me nervous that the dog might come back. It's a shame because it's a really beautiful, young husky and the owner must have paid a lot for it. When we had a sweet German shepherd mutt we had to lock up the chickens because she'd go after them. That's just a predator's instinct. But irresponsible pet owners are another thing...

On a positive note, my sweet Red Sex Link survived the dog attack! I saw her in the husky's mouth, but I don't think it seriously damaged her. She was pretty traumatized, but is acting normal now and doesn't seem injured. Whew.

I wouldn't contact the owner directly if I was uncomfortable about it, but I would deal with the situation through AC. The owner is liable for any losses you to your flock, and any damages to your property. AND if the dog appears to be dangerous to people (Children!) it should be dealt with by AC. Or the police. Or you if it reappears at your house. Mary

You did exactly right that's the way to handle this. I agree with Folly's place you have to decide if this is worth pursuing .what's the dollar value of the chicken . here's the thing you did what is most important protect your children & chickens & neighborhood we would hope the dog owner does the right thing here. I think I would get your chicken checked out .do you know if the dog had a rabies shot or not . and follow up with animal control on this good luck.

Back
Top Bottom