Stressed chick comong out of the brooder

Rivendell Chick

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Northeast Georgia, USA
My 5 week old chicks have been brooding inside and will be moving to their new coop and run in a few days. I thought it would be a good idea to bring them outside on a warm (but not hot) over cast day to start acclimating to life outside the basement bathtub...

Everyone enjoying a safe space outside, but one is clearly stressed. Not moving, panting, feathers fluffed out, diarrhea. She was my most outgoing chick inside. What can I do to help her? It's not even 70 degrees and very overcast. They have feed and water, but she's not happy at all.

The stressed chick is in the center with the red and blue feathers.

Attachments

• 20200513_142529.jpg
    20200513_142529.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 9
Hey sorry no one got back to you here.

I’m not an expert, but I guess each chicken is different and may take some longer to adjust than others. I had our chickens from day olds last year and started introducing them to outside life at about 2 weeks. Although closely supervised for a while. But I guess that doesn’t help you.

I actually came looking for help with a stressed hen under different circumstances.
How are they taking outside life now?

Hey sorry no one got back to you here.

I’m not an expert, but I guess each chicken is different and may take some longer to adjust than others. I had our chickens from day olds last year and started introducing them to outside life at about 2 weeks. Although closely supervised for a while. But I guess that doesn’t help you.

I actually came looking for help with a stressed hen under different circumstances.
How are they taking outside life now?
She was fine once we went back inside that day, and never saw the same anxiety since. She and her BFFs are all currently lounging in their sandy sunny spot ATM. I'm actually starting to wonder if she is a roo! She's next to the copper marans, showing her good side, haha

Attachments

• 20200524_171205.jpg
    20200524_171205.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 4
That’s excellent news.
Oh dear - guess you don’t want her to be a roo - I can’t really comment from that angle - but glad they’re happy and healthy!

That’s excellent news.
Oh dear - guess you don’t want her to be a roo - I can’t really comment from that angle - but glad they’re happy and healthy!

Well, I suppose 1 roo in 10 wouldn't be bad, just unexpected as I ordered pullets.

I actually got the wrong chicken here - she is the wheaten marans behind the other one. I keep looking at that tail and the way she carries it. When I let them out this morning everyone was jumping and doing these little face offs- I swear she tried to mount someone, but it may have just been the morning excitement and prospect of green treats :)

Hope your stressed bird does ok, thanks for posting. Lots of new people to chickens here lately that may benefit from your advice.

Back
Top Bottom