Egg binding or heat stress? HELP!

RadEggs

☆Chicken Chaos☆
Premium Feather Member
Jul 7, 2023
Pacific NW
I loooove my chickens, and one is acting weird. It was hot outside, so I brought them into the garage. Then my ayam cemani pullet started acting weird. She sat woth her wings out to her sides a little on the roosting bar, and would close her eyes for a bit, then go into fits of panic, panting and looking around frantically. I took her inside and set her in the bathroom, thinking it wad heat stress, but now, I am not so sure. She is not moving, and will not eat even tomatoes, her favorite food. She is standing up in one spot, sometimes moving her head. She still panics when I pick her up. (that's normal for her)
She is also standing weirdly, and moving her but muscles. (I can see her but pulsating a little bit.) She is around 23 weeks, and should lay eggs soon. Can anyone help? I could not bear to loose my baby.
:hit

16920452991813513082948067623454.jpg

Forgot to mention I agree her a epsom salt bath after she had been inside for 10 minutes. She has not moved from here in 10 minutes, but she is preening right now. She also has worms, either thread or round, which might be important to mention. Starting treatment soon.

View attachment 3609241

Forgot to mention I agree her a epsom salt bath after she had been inside for 10 minutes. She has not moved from here in 10 minutes, but she is preening right now. She also has worms, either thread or round, which might be important to mention. Starting treatment soon.
Also she had diarhea right after the bath, and not her normal yellow kind she has cause of the worms.

Is she eating layer feed and do you have crushed oyster shell for extra calcium? I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin d3 orally, just pop into her beak to swallow. That can help her to pass an egg. Tums and calcium carbonate are okay, but calcium citrate is best. Do you have any pictures of the worms? Are they in her poops or on her vent? Are you sure they are worms and not maggots?

Is she eating layer feed and do you have crushed oyster shell for extra calcium? I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin d3 orally, just pop into her beak to swallow. That can help her to pass an egg. Tums and calcium carbonate are okay, but calcium citrate is best. Do you have any pictures of the worms? Are they in her poops or on her vent? Are you sure they are worms and not maggots?
She is eating layer feed with crushed oyster shell. I am 100 percent positive it is worms cause 1 chicken had it first, then they all had it, and it is not visible worms, just all the symptoms (and soemrimes stuff that looks like threadworms, but Im treating with fenbenzadole anyways, so the specific type is not super important.) . Thanks for your help! She is also shaking her tail and but a little bit on and off, so she might be egg bound. This is not a regular yellow diarhea, she made this before taking the bath.
16920459402948524336797241196322.jpg

Got her to eat a tomato, think she's gonna be on. She also tried to lay an egg a few minutes ago, so 99 % sure she is egg bound.

I found out later that it was a combination of heat stress, and egg laying practice. She is alright, thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom