Stressed out acting hen

allquackedup

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
Southern Maryland
We are trying our hand @ raising chickens. With that being said at this point we are paying alot of attention to them and have many a question about behaviors. We got some Lakenvelders from a local lady and that was two weeks ago. The rooster and two hens have settled in thier new coop/run and act like chickens should (Care free and pecking away at this or that) We have one hen that acts like a caged tiger constantly pacing along the pen and always making clucking noises. Is this just her personality or what ? I think she may be the boss hen is that why she could be this way. Any suggestions.

Quote:
She's trying to talk all the others into making their grand escape.
big_smile.png

The question is - is it a problem? That hen may just want to free range more. Are they laying? Is this one laying?
I've only had chickens for 6 months, but the approach I've found useful is, if they are functioning well and healthy - no problem.

Also from Southern MD...

Thanks for the reply. We have just got started messing with chickens and ducks. After I posted question we went back out later and discovered an egg had been laid. Not sure if it was nervous nelly but she wasn"t nervous any more LOL. We are thinking maybe she was looking for a spot to lay. Boxes for these hens are being built in the morning. We will see if tha takes care of this. We have gotten eggs since we picked them up.Not as good as our RIR's however.
barnie.gif

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom