Struggling after dehydration and loss of duck

According to her version of events, they could have been without water for about 22 hours. It is possible. But combined with the fact that the door has worked fine before and since and some other carelessness, such as broken eggs (clearly not collected), the run being left unlocked (second time, latched but not locked thus that I am happy they didn’t all get out and get swooped up by hawks), and the dog water being quite low (also on the care list), I just don’t believe it was the door. I desperately want to believe her, as she’s also the nanny and so good with the kids, but I don’t.
It may be tedious, but maybe next time you can have her (or maybe someone else) send pics of the water level and latch and door each night and morning? Whenever I go out of town, I ask my brother to watch and ask him to send copious pics of water and food level throughout the days. Its annoying to keep on top of but it might be a good solution where you don’t have to let go the nanny you like! Was she staying at your house with the kids? or driving over solely to check on the ducks?

That’s the thing - she sent pics each evening last time she watched them (either of the birds or dogs - just a check in and confirmation all was well). She did not this time. She had no good explanation for why she didn’t send me any pics this time - I believe because she wasn’t here. I had to ask for one finally after the bird died so I could figure out which one passed. I was relieved it wasn’t one of my first two ducks (apparently always special)… I think she messed up, was careless, and panicked. I hate to admit this only adds to my difficulty in trusting people.

I may only take short trips until we relocate closer to family. If we’re eventually able to live by my sister (and fellow poultry keeper), I’d comfortably leave for extended trips. Funnily enough, we got birds over a year ago while my brother lived within walking distance (built in pet sitters), but they moved a short time later.

I should update to clarify that I sent her home indefinitely with no plans to have her back. The lack of contact from her following that is troubling. I try to imagine myself in the situation of being “falsely accused,” and I don’t think I would have conceded so easily. We have a few nannyless weeks before my husband’s schedule changes, so we’ll reevaluate then. Here goes!
The silver lining, if there is one, is that in asking my neighbors if they noticed anything during those days, they have all offered to help. I hate asking a peer to do a job I used to do as a teenager, but I suppose they’d be more reliable.

RIP Mrs. Eggman

Attachments

• AE275907-D7B5-4C0E-90F7-A8B724D5ABDE.jpeg
    AE275907-D7B5-4C0E-90F7-A8B724D5ABDE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I'm so sorry. This is a scenario right out of my nightmares. Seriously I wake up in a panic after dreaming about an animal dying due to my negligence. I don't understand how she's not an absolute wreck about her negligence! I'm so sorry your nanny was so careless with your flock. My heart breaks for you. Like MissL stated, this is why I don't go anywhere either. I'm glad she didn't show this amount of negligence with your children.

Seems like she'd be more proactive about clearing up any confusion if she's completely innocent. Sounds like you won't have to worry about her using you as a reference in the future

Back
Top Bottom