Struggling to learn sexing for muscovy ducklings

jsroberts

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2021
Hi all,

Our first batch of muscovy ducklings are getting so big, so fast, and they are so cute. I have been reading as much info as I can about how to sex them -- but I think I'm having trouble putting it into practice. Or, maybe I'm just trying to soon. IDK.

This is the most comprehensive resource I've found......
https://www.raising-ducks.com/determining-muscovy-gender/

But I took some pictures yesterday and I'm having a heck of a time determining anything at all. Does anyone here have more seasoned eyes?

Knowing the sex would be cool, but learning to sex them properly is my real goal here. TIA.

IMG_5613.JPG
I feel like the uneven tail feather growth might be some kind of indicator...if i only knew for what :lol:
My guess is the one on the right with the pronounced feather growth is a female. But, idk.

IMG_5612.JPG
I'm especially interested in knowing the genders of the dark headed one and the chocolate dipped one next to it. My guess on the dipped one is female, but the legs are kind of thick and boyish imo.

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5610.JPG
    IMG_5610.JPG
    573.1 KB · Views: 5
There are certain things that might make you lean one way or another, such as males legs tend to be farther apart from eachother, and females tend to grow their feathers a bit faster, but really the best way to do it is just wait until you start to see the significant size and noise differences.

As soon as the baby feathers were disappearing mine started really showing what they were. The boys legs were like tree trunks compared to the girls. The boys are also way more friendly. The girls feathers change a lot faster than the boys do.

Back
Top Bottom