Struggling with affordability of coop

I do have all the tools I'll need. I'm quite handy and have done a good deal of home remodeling so the labor isn't at issue. I'm just south of Seattle, WA so we get a lot of rain but our temperature doesn't go much below 25F at the coldest and we're lucky to hit 90F for a week or 2 in the summer.
I can think of two options, in addition to what @lazy gardener said earlier. I'd look around your area for a design that appeals to you, then ask the owner if you may take pictures, then go home & copy them...not ones being sold at retailers, naturally). Or, buy plans online & build one.

Also, prioritize the phases of your project. You can always add on. For example with my recent duck project, most important was secure duck house they could be locked in overnight when predators are most likely to strike and temperature is coldest. They had a temporary fenced area in my garden (not predator proof) that was not being used since it was winter. Next phase was their permanent fenced run, I fenced it in a way to keep the ducks in, more predator proof than the garden, but not perfect. Next phase I will be adding fencing over the roof/top to protect from hawks. After that I will be adding my skirt to deter diggers. So right now their enclosure isn't perfect, but I can add to it/modify it over time to make it better and spread the cost out over a few paychecks or give me time to find more materials. Oh, another small example, I screwed the door shut for like a week until I could find and/or purchase the ideal latches. It worked in a bind and bought me some time. Turns out I was right and did have a latch buried in my box of random hardware at home and I didn't have to spend $7 on a new one (it all adds up). The next thing I'm hunting for is a better door handle for the human door. Oh, and shingles and paint are coming down the line as well. I think I have enough salvage shingles from when the neighbor got a new roof for at least half the duck house, so I need to scrounge up a few more. A chicken coop doesn't need a lot of shingles so you can likely buy damaged packages discounted at the hardware store or get enough from a re-roof project in your area, just ask one of the workers on a day when a dumpster is there.

I reckon you can tell i am sort of a Sanford type of person. Just helped a friend tear down a barn built in 1920 so he could save some money building a shed for calves and other projects on his place. I hope i can learn to be as creative as some people's examples seen in this forum. Thanks
Yep. Sanford here, too! Our backyard is often cluttered with salvage for projects. People throw away really good and useful stuff sometimes that could have a 2nd full life somewhere other than a landfill, given an opportunity. We can often be seen driving around neighborhoods during bulk-trash pickup days. Lol!

Yep. Sanford here, too! Our backyard is often cluttered with salvage for projects. People throw away really good and useful stuff sometimes that could have a 2nd full life somewhere other than a landfill, given an opportunity. We can often be seen driving around neighborhoods during bulk-trash pickup days. Lol!

I was soooo excited a few weeks ago to find a piece of plywood on the side of the road that had blown away from somewhere. It became a human size door/wind break to the run!

I think the prefab ones are made with toothpicks. They really are crappy. , break easily, expensive. Making your own is the way to go. Wood is expensive. Their plans for things made out of pallets but I don’t have the time or muscle to do it.

Contact your local home repair companies. They are often tearing out materials in order to rebuild. Often perfectly good materials which would be great for a coop build. My SIL is always coming home with salvage materials. Everything from plywood to 2 x 4's, stair stringers, paving blocks, vinyl siding. In the course of 3 months, he either salvages enough material to build a coop, or hauls that amount to the dump. I can find lots of free building materials at my town dump. The doors and windows on my coop (see my interview in signature) came from the town dump. I'm always bringing windows home. Some day, I hope to build a framed green house with salvaged windows. Then, there's spring clean up. A lot of useful materials sitting at the side of the road, free for the picking. Habitat for Humanity ReStore often has building materials and hardware available for very reasonable prices. Check Craig's list. My SIL had a fishing shack given to him which would make a great coop with added ventilation and a window or two. Often, folks are happy to simply have you haul stuff away for them.

Home Depot always is throwing away the pieces that come between the wood stacks the are almost a 2x4 by 4 ft. Whenever I am at home Depot they ask me if I need help finding something I always say yes where is the free stuff... I almost always walk out with free building materials. I have built all my coops using pallet and that kind of stuff, sturdy and low cost.

I do have all the tools I'll need. I'm quite handy and have done a good deal of home remodeling so the labor isn't at issue. I'm just south of Seattle, WA so we get a lot of rain but our temperature doesn't go much below 25F at the coldest and we're lucky to hit 90F for a week or 2 in the summer.
Build a decent sized shed but add big roof overhangs to protect open windows and vents during your rains......might want a covered run too.
Depends on what you want in a coop, I like comfort and cover for me...
...and lots of room for the birds.
Crowding stress is real and not pleasant, so don't skimp on size.
Nope, it's not cheap.... even if you build it all yourself.

No offense to you @mystprism ....but who ever said keeping birds was inexpensive?
Well, keeping them can be pretty inexpensive, egg sales can cover feed costs,
but paying for and/or building the coop and run...that's the 'hobby' part.

Back
Top Bottom