Stubborn bumblefoot and respiratory issue?

family g

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
Our problem has a few parts. Any help with any of them would be very greatly appreciated!!!

1. One of our young hens has a bad case of bumblefoot. We operated 3 times, finally getting a sizable kernel out the last time. We have tried EVERYTHING to treat it. We started by applying alcohol and triple antibiotic ointment to the wound and changing the wrapping (vetwrap) every day. For a while, it looked to be doing better but she was still limping, not enough to keep her from walking around with the flock, but noticeably. Then we tried iodine sugar wrapping and epsom salt soaks every day, but that didn't seem to help either. The foot was still swollen and the limp was getting worse. So then we did 2 weeks of antibiotics. Even put antibiotics in the epsom salt water. Her foot is even more swollen and now she can barely even walk, although the black scab is gone. We ordered tricide neo and will be trying that tomorrow or as soon as it comes in, but is there anything else anyone suggests? She has a good appetite and her comb looks healthy. We are so worried about her as she has been fighting this over 2 months.

2. One of our older hens (5 years old) has been wheezing and panting for breath today. She, along with the other chickens, has been on antibiotics the last 2 weeks, so I can't imagine it would be a respiratory infection. They have also been wormed in the last 2 months so I don't think it's gapeworm. She's a tough mama cochin and usually nothing seems to bother her, but I also noticed a very small bumble on the bottom of her foot today and I'm worried about her. What could be causing her wheezing and panting? What should we do for her?

3. A while ago, we noticed some small white tadpole-like things in a poop. We haven't noticed any since, and they had just been wormed at that time. Tapeworms, maybe? Could they still be there? Could they be hindering healing?

Any help at all would be soooo greatly appreciated!!

What did you worm them with?

Bumble foot....if there is any infection left in the foot it will continue to be a problem for the chicken. You have to make sure it is all out. I had a vet cut one of mine and yesterday really got to looking at her foot as it just wasn't progressing like two that I had done after hers. Sure enough there was a tiny spot that had to be lanced on the top of her foot.

I found this in my searching....you may want to try it

My Bumble Foot treatment by Bill Ludwig.
The following is an all out treatment. Mild infections can sometimes heal on there own or with much less bother than the following treatment plan. For very mild cases (small scab and no swelling) I will just clean and bandage for 1 to 2 weeks. For a medium infection (small scab and minor swelling of the foot pad) I will give Pen-G injections and clean and bandage. For very bad cases (large scab and major swelling of entire foot) I use the following. This information is based on my personal experience. I have no back round or education in veterinarian medicine
Bumble Foot is a staph infection and can spread to the "hock" joint as well. What has worked for me is injections of Pen-G. This is a basic form of penicillin and works very well on is type of staph infection. It will take some of your time for a week. You will need to soak the foot and bandage it also.
Things you will need:
1) Pen-G This can be purchased at feed stores or Tractor Supply Co. No prescription needed. Small bottle $9.00
2) 3ml syringe with a 25 gage needle. Shorter needle is easier. I use 1/2 or 5/8 inch. Get this at a pharmacy. Cost about 25 cents each. You may want several incase you bend a needle.
3) Rubbing alcohol
4) Gaze
5) Water proof bandaging tape
6) Epson salts
7) Neosporin or generic triple antibiotic ointment
8) Time and TLC
I have found that the lancing and squeezing is a waste of time.
Soak the foot in warm Epson salt solution. Mix according to package. About 15 - 20 minutes.
Apply Neosporin ( triple antibiotic ointment) and bandage. It will get dirt in it. Do the best you can allowing for free movement of foot.
Injections .
Allow Pen-G to warm to room temp. Shake pen-g well just before putting in syringe. Pull in about 3/4 CC (same as ml.). Pen-G is very thick, this will be slow.
Injection can be given in breast or thigh.
It must be given in muscle tissue taking care not to hit a bone.
Find the spot you want and clean with alcohol.
It helps if someone can help hold the bird now.
The Pen-G will want to plug the needle so just before putting the needle in you need to clear it by pushing some out. Keep 1/2 CC in syringe. This is the amount I used for a 4-5 lb. bird.
Insert the syringe and slowly withdraw it while injecting.
If the medicine wont push out the needle, withdraw the needle and clear it and try again.
If you have never done this I know it sounds difficult and even scary. Its not so bad.
Clean syringe with alcohol or replace with a new one.
Repeat for five days.
Now clean and bandage every 2 - 3 days till scabbed area looks mostly healed.
The swelling will last maybe a week longer after injections are done.
The scab may take several weeks to completely heal

Thank you so so much! We will try this. And we wormed them with safeguard.

Hello! I'm late to the convo and hoping to glean some info :caf
Is there an egg withdrawal period after using Pen G?
My hen has bumblefoot but there is no scab to dig out! Right now I'm soaking in Epsom salt, applying topical antibiotics (iodine & Neosporin) and wrapping with gauze and vet tape. Tonight will be Night 2 of this treatment. I will continue for the week in the hopes of improvement but also thinking about my next steps in case her condition worsens... Advice?

Hello! I'm late to the convo and hoping to glean some info :caf
Is there an egg withdrawal period after using Pen G?
My hen has bumblefoot but there is no scab to dig out! Right now I'm soaking in Epsom salt, applying topical antibiotics (iodine & Neosporin) and wrapping with gauze and vet tape. Tonight will be Night 2 of this treatment. I will continue for the week in the hopes of improvement but also thinking about my next steps in case her condition worsens... Advice?
0713182041.jpg

There is no stated withdrawl period for penicillin for eggs, so most people do 10-14 days.
If you go with the pen G (and looking at the foot I think that's what I'd do unless you see improvement soon) the dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 cc daily for 5 - 7 days, into the breast muscle, alternate sides each dose, for my large fowl I usually go with the 1/2cc (I've also read .10cc per lb). Here are good instructions on how to do it if you haven't before - scroll down to 'treat with penicillin injection': https://sites.google.com/a/poultryp...oultry-podiatry#chickens_penicillin_injection

Here are a couple more sites that may help:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken.352701/ Post #2 has two sections on injections and penicillin

Okay thank you! I only discovered her foot two nights ago, first treatment was last night and I am still researching as much as I can. I will read these next.

There is no stated withdrawl period for penicillin for eggs, so most people do 10-14 days.
If you go with the pen G (and looking at the foot I think that's what I'd do unless you see improvement soon) the dosage is 1/4 to 1/2 cc daily for 5 - 7 days, into the breast muscle, alternate sides each dose, for my large fowl I usually go with the 1/2cc (I've also read .10cc per lb). Here are good instructions on how to do it if you haven't before - scroll down to 'treat with penicillin injection': https://sites.google.com/a/poultryp...oultry-podiatry#chickens_penicillin_injection

Here are a couple more sites that may help:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken.352701/ Post #2 has two sections on injections and penicillin

Back
Top Bottom