Stuck Egg! Urgent!

Kevin jumped into the nest box and slept there for a little while. I don’t think she has another egg in her because her behind is completely squishy, and she’s not really acting like she has to. I took her down to check on her, and she hopped outside to relax in the sun. I think she’s cold.
7D3E4C39-5BE6-4F9B-A573-06231D33F4A9.jpeg

I also haven’t been able to get Kevin to eat much. She ate tons of scrambled eggs this morning and that’s about it. She didn’t want any more when I offered it to her a little while ago. I did gave her another tums. And she’s had a whole bunch of water. I gave her a few watering cans full of water, which is her favorite, and she walked away with a giant water crop.
8519AB4C-FFBC-4129-ADD7-337C29321961.jpeg

She’s just kind of sluggish. I keep telling myself that she’s just healing and resting, and I really hope that’s the case, but it worries me. This behavior is pretty normal when it’s cold out, but I just wish she was all better.
14CFC3AF-1081-4709-A7A2-FB81B3479C7B.jpeg

Here is her poop from this morning-
9E45BA7E-22BD-4AD9-B84E-275F4FEB7E21.jpeg

(What I assume is) hers from the middle of the day (maybe it isn’t)-
724E2278-F4D2-4156-B649-18B4C301E440.jpeg

And hers now-
C7A64A0F-6248-427C-8B8C-0D4CDDEF8749.jpeg

How does it look? Is it just because she isn’t eating?

Last edited:
Here is her poop from this morning-View attachment 3380033

(What I assume is) hers from the middle of the day (maybe it isn’t)-View attachment 3380034

And hers now-View attachment 3380036

How does it look? Is it just because she isn’t eating?
Looks pretty typical for a chicken who is drinking a lot and not eating much. I'd give her a day or two to recover before I started worrying too much. A stuck egg can sometimes mess up the digestive tract so I'd check her in the morning to make sure her crop is emptying normally.

Looks pretty typical for a chicken who is drinking a lot and not eating much. I'd give her a day or two to recover before I started worrying too much. A stuck egg can sometimes mess up the digestive tract so I'd check her in the morning to make sure her crop is emptying normally.
Thank you! That makes me feel better. I’ll do that.

She’s acting mostly normal, but just a bit weak, which is understandable. She has been drinking tons of water and pooping regularly, although they are wet, green poops. I’m trying to stuff a ton of food into her now

I also haven’t been able to get Kevin to eat much. She ate tons of scrambled eggs this morning and that’s about it. She didn’t want any more when I offered it to her a little while ago. I did gave her another tums. And she’s had a whole bunch of water.
Provide her with her normal food and water, the eggs are nice to give too.
See that she's drinking.
Sounds like she's eating/drinking o.k. so don't try to stuff a ton of food/water onto her now:)
Continue with the Calcium (TUMS or Calcium Citrate) for several days.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying.

She had a hard time expelling this last egg, so just keep watch on her. Hopefully she won't have any more problems. They can act a bit off for a day or so when they have had an exhausting ordeal.

Kevin is nearly back to her normal self this morning! She was yelling at me to come and refill her feeder to the top, which I did, and she even tried to eat some dry crumbles. She was unable to actually eat them, though, so I fed her more eggy mash. She couldn’t eat the eggy mash yesterday, but she devoured it this morning, so I think she’s improving. She always has access to her dry crumbles and water, so I don’t doubt that she will be trying to eat it later today as well. She had more watering can water too. Overall, she seems a lot stronger and seems to be feeling a lot better. She kept following me around, which is very normal for her-
95B94076-6977-4CC7-A2F0-64F48984DD69.jpeg

Kevin was eating a bit of crumbles when I checked on her again, but she was still having a hard time. I gave her more mash to get her nice and filled up before bed. She’s been a lot more active overall. She even decided to eat some grass. I only let her have small pieces, though.
0155A954-4610-4913-B7B4-DA74B94D0CB3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom