Stuck Egg! Urgent!

Kevin looks a lot like my Ladybug, minus the tutu. Ladybug growls when she isn't pleased. A tutu would not please her.

No antibiotic needed unless the egg broke inside her. It's the yolk that attracts the bacteria to grow. Kevin appears to be in the clear as long as she doesn't have another egg following close on the heels of this one. Her behavior will tell you if she's out of crisis.

Do give her several days of a calcium supplement. This can clear any other material that may be left in the oviduct, as well as boost her blood calcium and balance her cycle. Check that egg for double yolks. If it has two, the calcium given for a week could help dial back the ovulation to just the one yolk. It's worth a try because double yolks are a danger for hens. They often get stuck due to their size.

I like calcium citrate as it's easiest to digest and absorb.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Kevin looks a lot like my Ladybug, minus the tutu. Ladybug growls when she isn't pleased. A tutu would not please her.

No antibiotic needed unless the egg broke inside her. It's the yolk that attracts the bacteria to grow. Kevin appears to be in the clear as long as she doesn't have another egg following close on the heels of this one. Her behavior will tell you if she's out of crisis.

Do give her several days of a calcium supplement. This can clear any other material that may be left in the oviduct, as well as boost her blood calcium and balance her cycle. Check that egg for double yolks. If it has two, the calcium given for a week could help dial back the ovulation to just the one yolk. It's worth a try because double yolks are a danger for hens. They often get stuck due to their size.

I like calcium citrate as it's easiest to digest and absorb. View attachment 3379534
Thank you! I will try to get some of that! I cracked the egg open and inside was a single giant yolk, about the size of our biggest egg layer’s.

Thank you everyone! She seems to be doing so much better! She’s acting mostly normal, but just a bit weak, which is understandable. She has been drinking tons of water and pooping regularly, although they are wet, green poops. I’m trying to stuff a ton of food into her now that she’s finally interested, so I started with something easy and special- scrambled eggs! She devoured them. I’m going back out in a minute with her favorite, which is an eggy mash, to see if she wants some of that.
CF0C3285-2DE0-4577-9F2C-D2415C714F2B.jpeg
834BC0F7-68FC-4C86-843D-6B1CC838FD13.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom