Stumped — need advice!

Grey Gables

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Ohio
Hello,

I have a Light Brahma hen, a little over a year old that has been lethargic the last week or so (increasingly over time). She had been a consistent layer until maybe a month ago and stopped laying, but acted fine/normal until the last week.

Comb is nice and red. Checked for lice and mites and all the bad stuff. Feet are fine. No discharge, eyes are good, no breathing issues.

In the last few days she is not interested in food and isn’t drinking much. I’ve been using a syringe to make sure she gets at least SOME liquid. Monday night I thought her crop felt more full and hoped she had eaten but it didn’t look like she had…. So I took her food away for a day to see if her crop shrunk. Nope - it’s maintained the same size, is squishy but not huge or full. Zero smell, so I don’t think it’s sour crop. Wouldn’t impacted crop feel more hard?

Have not physically felt inside her vent (yet) for a broken egg. But that’s my last idea. Her abdomen (or chicken version of an abdomen) is normal — not enlarged/swollen.

She walks fine — just slow because she’s lethargic. Occasionally I’ve seen her breathing with her beak open, so possibly she’s in a little pain.

I do have a chicken vet but she’s hard to get into — wouldn’t be fast to get an appointment. I’m wondering if she has internal issues and just isn’t going to pull through. But she’s still pretty alert despite not eating or drinking much, so am attempting to do what I can. Just not sure what else to try at this point.

The rest of my flock is fine. I have separated this hen from everyone just in case. Her poop is pretty yellow/green at this point but I suspect it’s just lack of nutrients?

She is fed Kalmbach feed, has access to grit and oyster shells. I feed treats very minimally.

Any advice is welcome.

A0C206D9-7123-4FD3-B9D0-B190AE77E4E2.jpeg

Looks like she's not eating by the poop.

Can you take a picture of her or even better a short video of her right now?

What is "minimal" treats?

Have you brought any new birds home in the last few months?

Looks like she's not eating by the poop.

Can you take a picture of her or even better a short video of her right now?

What is "minimal" treats?

Have you brought any new birds home in the last few months?
Sure, here’s a quick Video of her right now. Had her out to try and get some liquid in her.

Minimal treats = they might get ~2 tbs worth of a treat twice a week. I mostly rely on their feed because I don’t want to overdo anything. If I give treats, it’s fresh fruit or veggies, occasionally some meal worms.

No new chickens lately. I have a small flock and am very careful about biosecurity.

What were the results from this post:
Post in thread 'Potentially sick bird - poop photos' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/potentially-sick-bird-poop-photos.1499794/post-25092125

Did they mention Marek's disease back then?
I had that pullet euthanized - she was declining. And immediately took her for a necropsy. Necropsy results were essentially inconclusive. Negative for Mareks. But this is reminding me of that pullet. Neither has/had any major symptoms but essentially stopped eating and drinking.

I had that pullet euthanized - she was declining. And immediately took her for a necropsy. Necropsy results were essentially inconclusive. Negative for Mareks. But this is reminding me of that pullet. Neither has/had any major symptoms but essentially stopped eating and drinking.
Do you happen to still have that bird's necropsy results?

Do you happen to still have that bird's necropsy results?
Necropsy Results:
They found myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle), proventriculitis (inflammation of the proventriculus), ingluvitis (inflammation of the crop), dehydration, crop mycosis (fungal infection) and emaciation.

The commend from the pathologist is the clinical signs and poor nutrition were due to changes in the heart, crop and proventriculus. They believe the crop and heart lesions were most likely due to a mycotic infection (yeast infection) that occurred secondarily to some immunosuppression in the bird.

They essentially told me they found a few issues but thought they were all secondary to whatever initial problem she encountered, or were caused by the symptoms of the issue.

Necropsy Results:
They found myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle), proventriculitis (inflammation of the proventriculus), ingluvitis (inflammation of the crop), dehydration, crop mycosis (fungal infection) and emaciation.

The commend from the pathologist is the clinical signs and poor nutrition were due to changes in the heart, crop and proventriculus. They believe the crop and heart lesions were most likely due to a mycotic infection (yeast infection) that occurred secondarily to some immunosuppression in the bird.

They essentially told me they found a few issues but thought they were all secondary to whatever initial problem she encountered, or were caused by the symptoms of the issue.
She had a lot going on. I misunderstood your post.

Does this current bird seem like she has a crop issues? Any strong smell coming from her mouth?

She had a lot going on. I misunderstood your post.

Does this current bird seem like she has a crop issues? Any strong smell coming from her mouth?
Appreciate the help. She’s had a squishy crop for a few days despite not eating. Zero smell. I’ve been smelling her up close multiple times a day because I kept thinking she had sour crop or it would develop into sour crop.

Appreciate the help. She’s had a squishy crop for a few days despite not eating. Zero smell. I’ve been smelling her up close multiple times a day because I kept thinking she had sour crop or it would develop into sour crop.
What about coccidiosis. Have you ever had to treat for that? Having it can cause crop issues.
What about deworming...done that?

Back
Top Bottom