Stumped!

KRYSTLE M

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
Hey all. I am at my wits end with this "vent gleet"

3 year old leg horn have had the following treatments:
Went to vet who says vent gleet isn't a thing, she had tapeworm: treated with no change (vet then left practice and no one else local taking new birds)
Epsom salt soaks
Monistat
Nystatin
Avc in water
Added probiotocs & yogurt
Copper sulfate: currently on day 4 and no change. Not sure what else to do!!!

Any other suggestions? Culling not an option
She is eating, drinking, laying, energetic.

HELPPPP!!!!

I did find this
Home remedy:
  1. Put two tablespoons of Epsom salts into a washing up bowl half full of comfortably hot water.
  2. Sit your hen into the water and allow her to soak her bottom for a good 10 minutes – she will probably enjoy this and may start to nod off! ...
  3. Take her out and pat the wet area dry with a clean old towel.

In baby chicks, pasty butt (a.k.a. pasted vent) occurs when poo dries in the chick's vent (her pooper) and the blockage prevents her from defecating. This is a critical situation for a baby chick and should be addressed immediately because it can be fatal.

By the time your bird is an adult layer, her muscles are pretty well developed for expulsion, and the vent can expand significantly (large enough to pass an egg, right?). So, adult hens seldom (perhaps never!) suffer from pasty butt. That said, they can certainly get vent feathers messy with loose poo, and that can occasionally be a concern. A little poo in the vent feathers isn't that big a deal; it happens from time to time, and generally speaking, your hen will clean it herself.

I did find this
Home remedy:
  1. Put two tablespoons of Epsom salts into a washing up bowl half full of comfortably hot water.
  2. Sit your hen into the water and allow her to soak her bottom for a good 10 minutes – she will probably enjoy this and may start to nod off! ...
  3. Take her out and pat the wet area dry with a clean old towel.

In baby chicks, pasty butt (a.k.a. pasted vent) occurs when poo dries in the chick's vent (her pooper) and the blockage prevents her from defecating. This is a critical situation for a baby chick and should be addressed immediately because it can be fatal.

By the time your bird is an adult layer, her muscles are pretty well developed for expulsion, and the vent can expand significantly (large enough to pass an egg, right?). So, adult hens seldom (perhaps never!) suffer from pasty butt. That said, they can certainly get vent feathers messy with loose poo, and that can occasionally be a concern. A little poo in the vent feathers isn't that big a deal; it happens from time to time, and generally speaking, your hen will clean it herself.
Thank you for replying and for the info :)

I have done the espom baths as well with no luck:(

Any other thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom