Stumped

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleSticks, May 25, 2012.

1. LittleSticks

LittleSticks In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    NW Washington
    I bought this little pullet/roo from the Barred Rock bin. I knew she wasn't a barred Rock because she was brown but I liked her speckled head. S/he has enormous feet and an upright posture and is having a terrible time with feathering in. Every feather has a long waxy shaft that does not come off very easily. (Would a bath help?)

At any rate can someone identify this bird?

Two weeks:
    [​IMG]

At eight weeks. Her feathering has changed from barred to penciled and now (9 1/2 weeks) she is penciled and her head is getting dark brown - black.
    [​IMG]

My second chick was also supposed to be a Barred Rock but as you can see there is no barring! I'm guessing Australorp or a Maran? Feathers are taking on a green sheen in the sun and the legs and feet are yellow-green with a black 'wash' ov er that. The front of the legs are more blackish than the back.This was taken at 8 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

2. IDK about the first one but the second looks almost exactly like one I got that was supposed to be a barred rock all the people that looked at the pics of mine say austrolorp so that is what yours probobly is

3. e wolf

e wolf In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    well that redbrown one may be a partridge rock and looks like a pullet. the black one looks like an austrolorp. either way if they are both girls they'll make good birds.!

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'd say the first one is some hatchery variation of a Partridge Rock, the second one looks like a Jersey Giant judging by her yellow soles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: