Stupid Broodie Crushing the eggs as they hatch!!

crazy chook

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Langwarrin, Victoria
I have a beautiful little silkie who went broodie three weeks ago. I checked on her eggs and could see one had pipped. The next morning I let all the chickens out and got to her pen opened it up and she jumped off her nest to eat drink poo..... and I saw that she had crushed 2 eggs.
Every egg that started to pip or hatch she has crushed. I scooped up both eggs and rushed in side, one had blood every where so obviously she had broken lots of blood vessels and the other was just badly squashed. I gently pealed back some of the shell and put both eggs in the incubator. Sadly only one survived. That night I took the rest of her eggs and put two 3 day old chicks under her to see how she would go with chicks. She is fine and babies are going great so I gave her a few more.
She is a good mum but I can't understand how she could squash the eggs hatching..........dopey chicken!!

Was it her first clutch ? ?

My first time momma sat on four eggs for 21 days.

The first chick pip and she stepped on it and killed it.
The next day, a second egg hatched and she killed it. Don't know HOW, but she was real upset over it. SQWUAKed horribly until I removed the carcass from the nest.
Third day, third chick hatched and survived. Momma did a great job taking care of it while she sat on the last egg for about 5 days more. Finally, I removed the last, unhatched egg.

I think it takes experience for some mommas to do what others do instinctively. . . . I would give her another shot at it if she goes broody again and this was her first clutch.

This is her first clutch and she is a lovely friendly little girl.
She is going really well now, she has 6 chicks and took them outside for a scratch around for the first time today but then it started to rain and she called them all back inside again.

Back
Top Bottom