Stupid JAW! Does anyone here suffer from TMJ or TMD?

Have you spoken with your ortho or dentist or general doctor yet?

Don't worry.
hugs.gif

Many people have this same problem. You're not alone and it doesn't mean that it's going to get worse or never stop.
hugs.gif

If it makes you nervous - I'd definitely check with a doctor to ease your concerns or help.

I have it, had the surgery they don't break your jaw, they put the joint back in the right place, but, some people have to have their jaw wired shut, to keep it in place till it heals, i did not. it was great till I was in a car accident and screwed it up again!
Heathero617, have you ever had an appliance that is just in the middle of your mouth? That is how mine is and I can not put my teeth together so while your sleeping you try to touch your teeth together and your jaw tires out and relaxes so you don't grind. It has worked wonders for me, I hardly have to wear it anymore, unless i am really stressed. When I catch myself clenching my teeth during the day when I am stressed out, I will make sure to wear my appliance!

Quote:
I hate the laughing gas stuff. It makes me feel yucky so I always pass if they offer it at the dentist. When I had my wisdoms out - they knocked me completely out so I didn't feel a thing. I wasn't awake for it.

Quote:
I hate the laughing gas stuff. It makes me feel yucky so I always pass if they offer it at the dentist. When I had my wisdoms out - they knocked me completely out so I didn't feel a thing. I wasn't awake for it.

How long does it hurt after?

Mine was particularly bad because I was 29 (now 30) and I waited too long. My advice to anyone who will eventually have them out is to have them out as early as the doctor will let you. It will make the least swelling and pain for you.

I hurt for about a week and I had bad swelling and bruising on my face AND top of chest. I found out later on that the doctor had to lean his whole body weight against me in order to get a couple out. So in my case it wasn't fun.

So again - have them out early and it won't be so bad
smile.png
But if I survived THAT - anyone can!

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic. I didn't mean to hijack the thread with wisdom teeth talk.
smile.png

I think even if it ends up being an issue that is said to not be such a big deal (or it may be something that needs attention).... It would put your mind at ease to talk with him. He'll probably tell you to make an appointment for when you get back. Your whole trip to RI may be spoiled if you keep worrying about it. I understand what that's like. I always think the worst. People say not to do that, but it's tough to do! So....my suggestion/opinion would be that it wouldn't hurt to talk with him/her. My dentist is really cool and will get on the phone with me to talk about any of my concerns. If the dentist doesn't do it for ya, you could always call your regular doctor who may help. Again, they may say to just make an appointment later and that it sounds like it it could wait. At least you'd feel better knowing.
smile.png

I hope you have a fun trip!

I have it - it runs in the family. My joints are actually have a little spur shape on them, and the padding isn't in the right place. Fixing it would require painful surgery. I had a night guard that snapped onto my lower teeth in the front. I set in in a glass of denture cleaner one day, and went to work. My mom was babysitting and for some reason decided to clean our bathroom. She didn't have her glasses on, and my guard ended up in the garbage disposal. It was completely useless after that.

Back
Top Bottom