stupid question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by txredneckmedic, Sep 17, 2009.

1. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Can my rooster eat layer pellets?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Yes, roosters can eat anything hens can eat since they're all chickens. The only thing about the layer pellets is that they contain calcium which roosters don't necessarily need. But it won't hurt anything.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

If he is an adult then yes.

The only danger is when youngters who are still in that explosive growth stage eat layer, they can't rid themselves of the excess calcium fast enough and can end up with organ damage.

4. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    he is about 6 months old so i dont see him growing much more. Also is the layer pellets ok for ducks?

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My two ducks have been eating layer pellets for about three years now and they walk like, quake like and swim like a duck so I guess they are still ducks [​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    not a stupid question. i am very happy to learn the answer also. [​IMG]

7. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    scooter...i just wasnt sure if the calcium would hurt them or not

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The calcium will not hurt them.

My little remark was suppose to be a crack at a joke or my way of saying it wouldn't hurt them.

Like another said there is no such thing as a dumb question, cause if you don't ask you will not learn.

I hope you didn't take it as being sarcastic or mean or anything and if you did I definately didn't mean it that way.

9. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    na its cool. I decided to go with the flockraiser since I have ducks also and put a bowl of oyster shells out. Within 2 hours of putting the new food and oyster shell I got another egg.

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice!

I mix 50/50 layer and meat bird feed because I have older hens, lots of roosters and two ducks.

I think they do better on the mix compared to just layer. Oyster shell free choice always of course. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by