Sub cutaneously injected with tylan, looks quite pink and puffy at injection site

This link explains it:
Withdrawal of Enrofloxacin for Poultry | FDA

I use it on my poultry, but since it's banned, I figure I should mention it.
Casportpony would you share your thoughts with me please about disregarding the Warning from the fda? I’m inclined to agree with you but need to understand. I got the baytril in the mail today and I’m a little nervous. Feel free to message me if you prefer.

Not sure what to say except that several vets have prescribed it, a couple made me promise I wouldn't eat the eggs, though one vet tech said they themselves eat the eggs, they just wait for a month. If your hen has a bacterial infection that is resistant to Tylan, Baytril is a good one to try. FWIW, I have peafowl here that have had blackhead in the past and they were treated with both Baytril and metronidazole (both banned for poultry) and I still eat the eggs.

If I were selling eggs or giving them away to people to eat, I would not use Baytril or metronidazole on those birds.

Thanks for asking. Only had one dose so far. Fingers crossed. We got her with this cough in the summer and it’s been a real challenge. I keep getting yelled at in another group (which I deleted my post) to never use baytril
And cull her. I will not do that. She acts fine and has an excellent quality of life. The others have already long since been exposed. Sigh.
She’s the big mottled Black excuse the garbage can
Thanks for asking. Only had one dose so far. Fingers crossed. We got her with this cough in the summer and it’s been a real challenge. I keep getting yelled at in another group (which I deleted my post) to never use baytril
And cull her. I will not do that. She acts fine and has an excellent quality of life. The others have already long since been exposed. Sigh.

Attachments

• 6BB56488-5EDB-4C08-95B0-5D70367ED2F3.jpeg
    6BB56488-5EDB-4C08-95B0-5D70367ED2F3.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 150CBF0D-D9E6-4957-95E0-27DC5A89DF75.jpeg
    150CBF0D-D9E6-4957-95E0-27DC5A89DF75.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 1
Sorry people are yelling at you, that's not cool :hugs , ignore them, or send them my way, lol. Not all respiratory and sinus infections are contagious, sometimes they're just infections from them aspirating a little dirty water. You should know if the Baytril is going to work after four doses, so if you don't see improvement after four doses, let me know.

Sorry people are yelling at you, that's not cool :hugs , ignore them, or send them my way, lol. Not all respiratory and sinus infections are contagious, sometimes they're just infections from them aspirating a little dirty water. You should know if the Baytril is going to work after four doses, so if you don't see improvement after four doses, let me know.
Terrific. Thank you thank you! I’ll report back. I appreciate the non judgmental support greatly.

Tylan 50 or Tylan 200?
Tylan, both the 50 and the 200, are well known for causing injection site reactions. My advice is to stop injecting it and start giving it orally 2-3 times a day instead. If using Tylan 50, give 0.2 ml per pound of bodyweight 2-3 times a day. If using Tylan 200, give 0.05 ml per pound of bodyweight 2-3 times a day.

I tried oral and it didn’t affect the cough and open beak :(

Attachments

• 21224B43-0C48-4CD1-A716-78AADE0C72E9.jpeg
    21224B43-0C48-4CD1-A716-78AADE0C72E9.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 12365273-7A97-4295-9F8D-80543C42AD5A.jpeg
    12365273-7A97-4295-9F8D-80543C42AD5A.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom