Subfloor in Coop -

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dune3000, Oct 4, 2012.

1. dune3000

dune3000 New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    My coop is build in garage.
    I make subfloor from 3/4" plywood on 2x4. Wander if I did right putting there subfloor.
    I worry about mouse going under it, also about mold from water and poop .
    My wife suggesting to remove that floor . No mold, no mouse, easer to clean. Should I follow her advice? (we are in Brampton, Ontario)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Honestly, I would. You are right about mice and rats getting under there. My coop is built on a concrete slab and the birds are directly on the slab. I use straw for bedding and can get it nice and deep so they have a soft landing when jumping down from the roosts, and don't have to stand on cold concrete on the winter.

3. jhamblin

jhamblin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    My coop is also built in my garage, and I dont have anything for the flooring. I just throw pine shavings on the concrete and it works great! It's also a breeze to clean.

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I used 3/4" plywood with vinyl on top with no concrete underneath. Now, my floor is rotten under the vinyl. The floor is caving in. I have no idea how I'm going to fix this problem. For now, I put some boards on top of the vinyl and just hope it holds up until spring. I believe I will have to tip the coop over and replace the floor. [​IMG]

5. dune3000

dune3000 New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    Thank you so much I going to remove that floor tonight ..
    Great forum many friendly people who respond fast this great solutions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by