Submit Coop Design Pictures For The BYC.com Site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Economy Coop, I built with no plans and I just adapted as I went along. Not Beautiful but totally fundtional.

The total cost of materials that I purchased was around $140. this does not include paint or roofing material. I had some around here from a previous project. You can get tar paper for around $ 12 or search for a discount or surplus yard. I paid $ 7.00 a bundle for the shingles at such a place. I also used insulation in the roof under the shingles and across the back wall. I used a foil coated foam designed for under layment for wood floors. I had that on hand and I will help deflect the sun in summer more that anything else. I had to place a layer of plastic sheeting over the foam because the chickens will peck at it as I found out in a previous coop.

I did have some things laying around here and I found the window at a garage sale for $3.00. My orginal idea was to put a vent in that side.

This little hutch type coop will hold 8 standards and up to 12 bantams.
NewCoop1.jpg

I started by attaching 2x4's to a piece of 4x8' plywood. I left 1/2" space along the sides of the board for the siding to sit on later on. I then attached that to 6, 16" 4x4 posts. I like the elevated coop because I can reach in and clean it out easily and it gives shade underneath as well as reducing the cost substantially. It also make a small space for the birds to maintain their body heat in the winter.

NewCoop003.jpg

To make the wall frame you can do one of two things. Construct it to fit your dimensions and then place it on the floor and screw or nail it into the floor section or, as I did, I screwed the boards to the floor section one at a time by toenailing the screws to the stud and the floor. I then attrached the top board screwing the top board across the top of each stud. On the front section I adjusted it for two doors that are about 30" each. You can make your door width whatever you want. Actually one wide door would work better but I like to use two so the daytime opening is not so big. I don't build a chicken door so one side stays open all day. I used the metal joist hangers available at the hardware stores for the roof joists. It makes it easier and you don't need to cut angles. In order for them to fit properly, I found that I needed to add a second 2x4 across the top.

Newcoop4.jpg

NewCoop6.jpg

I had my biggest problem with the doors. This is where knowing someone who had some carpentery skills would be helpful. The plywood was slightly bowed and it did not want to fit snugly. I will probably replace one door later on. I just cut the plywood to fit the opening leaving a small space at the middle where it rests on the center stud. This stud I placed on the frame with the 4" side facing outward so I would have plenty of room for the doors to meet and not leave any space for draft.

All that is left is to paint it and apply some rubbermaid no slip shelf liner to the ramp for the chickens to go in and out and that will be all there is to it. Also I need to mention the openings on the front are covered with screening I have frames that I will attache plastic sheeting to and then hang them. I may wait till winter if the rain does not go in to bad if so I will hinge along the top and just have them lifted up 6 or 7 inches and propped open with another piece of wood.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have, feel free to email me and I will try to help. This is the 5th unit I have made to house different groups of chickens so I am getting better at this construction thing. I don't usually have a plan since they are usually not designed for my particular limitations or needs. This unit sits in a fenced area about 30x50 and I may section some of that off to allow some space for my others to range somewhat during the nice weather. Like I said, It is not professional or beautiful but it is functional and if you are just starting out the cost is not so staggering as going to Loewes or Home Depot and investing 6-8 hundred dollars for an 8x8' building.

Last edited:
Good job there, they will warm in the winter have lots of ventilation in the summer. I like that you built it up off the ground, too.
big_smile.png

Hey Kelli, Very cool coop, I like that you done the walls with the linoleum, I haven't started on a coop yet, still trying to figure out what I'm going to do???

Sorry about your grandma, just be thankful for the memories.

We have nothing fancy to offer with our coop. The camera wasn't working while we were building the coop. I had even asked my brother in law to bring his over and he never did.
What I can tell you is it roughly cost us around $350 for everything. Here is a list the items that we purchased...

8 4"x4"x8' posts
15 2"x4"x10' running boards
18 4'x8' pressed boards
2 rolls of R19 insulation for floor
2 boxes of coated sinker 8d 2-3/8" nails
(one 5lb. box & one sm. box)
2 rolls of heavy guage wire fencing (50 ft length I think)
1 roll small hole net fencing to enclose top of run area
(also used x-tra for screening of windows) 50 or so feet
1 10 ft. roll of small hole wire guaged fencing (for bottom
of run area to prevent chickens from going underneath
the chicken coop)
3 screen door hinge kits
5 hooks & eyes (2 windows, ramp/door, bottom of human
door & one for gate to enclosed run).
1 slide lock for human door
1 roll of roofing paper and couple of boxes of shingles

Please remember to make sure your ground is lvl and if it's not, adjust your measurements accordingly. We dug 2ft. down for the posts and then added cement and then dirt over top. Also when we did the flooring, we cut some of the 2x4's (per measurements) and staggered them in between the floor joists to give added support. We did the three, two, three etc. Insulation came next and then some of the pressed boards.

Our coop is far from finished though. When summer ends, we will be adding the insulation and inner walls to completely give some cold weather protection. Electricity at this time is ran with an extension cord, but we have an electrician that will be coming to re-wire our home, so we will have him run some out to the coop. Here are some basic pics of our set up for the time being.

100_1718-1.jpg

100_1720.jpg

100_1719.jpg

100_1721.jpg

This last picture is looking in the south window. Tried to show a little bit of the inside. Hope this helps with some idea's and price range.

wow, just goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune to fix up a neat coup. We have the old homestead house on our property from a hundred years ago. We are using the back room for our coup. My DH is lining the walls with tin (which we had lying around) so we won't have to worry about burning the house down with a heating lamp come winter.
big_smile.png
Seeing all these wonderful photos of coups just shows me how talented all our chicken-friends are out there!
clap.gif

Ok I'm new at posting pictures so I hope this works. We had a family friend who had started my daughter a play house some years ago. But sadly he never got to finish it so it sat for 4 years unfinished. I found someone to come and turn it into a chicken coop for me last year. We used rolled roofing material to cover sides. They have a 80' run attached to it that was the space between our two horse pastures and I used garden netting to cover the top. I'm in the process of making two nesting boxes this weekend from a picture I seen on this website. I have sand boxes under their roosts that I clean out every morning like a giant cat box. It really keeps the flies out of the coop and the odor too. Buddy our outside cat gets along great with the girls.
102_0313.jpg

102_0312.jpg

102_0311.jpg

102_0310.jpg

102_0308.jpg

Here is the new nest boxes seems someone doesn't care to use it yet!
nestbox.jpg

I use a dog cage as a introduction cage so the girls and get use to the new ones.
introcage.jpg

Last edited:
Like Poison Ivy, our coop is used to be a kids' playhouse. It was given to us by the sister of a friend and the kids played in it for years. Then it sat under our orange tree and got dusty and ugly. When we decided to get chickens, we adapted it into their coop.

Here is the "before" picture:

P1010361.jpg

Adaptations we made:
1. Added the top part of the Dutch door
2. Added a floor
3. Turned the left window into an external nest box
4. Covered the other two windows in hardware cloth
5. Cut a chicken sized door on the right side
6. Built an attached run
7. Added two roost bars that run along the back of the coop, one low, one high.
8. Attached feeders to the wall below the front window.
9. Did some roofing reinforcement.
10. Painted

Here is the "after" picture, sitting in my veggie garden:

CoopintheGarden.jpg

Now, here's the funny thing. The kids have decided that they now need a "fort." You tell me what you think it looks like it's shaping up to be?

P1010285.jpg

Hmmmm, let's see. I wonder how long it's going to take them to grow out of this one.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Forgot to say: The coop measures 4' X 5' for our three girls. The fort, aka 'future coop' measures 4' X 4'.
smile.png

Last edited:
Wow this is great.Thanks to everyone for posting these photos and especially the detailed building instructions. very cool.

POison Ivy.... "Dropping Pit" design-
I'm interested in the sand under the roost area. We have a kid's sandbox filled with play sand that renters left in our yard last year, and I was wondering how I could use the sand for the chickens. At the same time I'm trying to figure an easy way for my 10-yr-old daughter to keep the coop as clean as possible, and having a way to clean under the roosts (which I gather is where the majority of the poop ends up?) sounds great. I have looked at the screened box type "pits" and at a drop-down floor panel as possibilities. So this sand idea is interesting. But don't the chickens want to go and take dust baths in it?

Backyard Buddies.... Wall-hung feeders?-
Our henhouse is going to be pretty small, about 4 x 5 or 4 x 4 and not too tall. Sicne we're in a cold climate (Maine) I gather than an exterior nest is a bad idea (re: frozen eggs) so the nests will take up some of the interior real estate. Add roost space for 4-5 birds and a heat lamp for winter, and there is not a lot of open space left in there for hanging feeders. Can you tell me about the wall-hung feeders? Pics? Link to where to buy them?

Thanks!!!
STacey

Bravo all, good job on the renovations of existing buildings. Stacey, we took some old bookshelves and my DH put a back on them and a lip in front and turned it on it's side and made nesting boxes from it. I see lots of very wonderful ideas on here for nesting boxes. The kind where you say to yourself...that was so simple why didn't I think of that?
gig.gif
I need to see something to get me to thinking. ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom