Successfully raised meat birds for the first time

Gwhite3678

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
New Hampshire
We processed our 16 meat birds! We had 8 Cornish x and 8 freedom rangers.
Pro’s and con’s to both for sure. We learned a lot and can’t wait to do it again next year!
IMG_2472.jpeg
IMG_5439.jpeg
IMG_5434.jpeg
IMG_2473.jpeg

We hand plucked! The Cornish x weren’t so bad but the freedom rangers were more difficult
Hoping to get a plucker next time since we plan to do more. Would save ALOT of time
With arthritis in our hands a plucker is a neccessity for us now. In the past (60+ years ago) we hand plucked. Now we are experimenting with creating different crosses of our own that we like the best.

Congrats! These look great.

May I ask what you personally liked and didn't like about each breed? We're relatively new to meat birds and have done 2 batches of CX. We just picked up some Ranger chicks this week to try (Meyer's Rainbow Rangers), so I'm interested in what you liked about each.

Congrats! These look great.

May I ask what you personally liked and didn't like about each breed? We're relatively new to meat birds and have done 2 batches of CX. We just picked up some Ranger chicks this week to try (Meyer's Rainbow Rangers), so I'm interested in what you liked about each.
For the freedom rangers (mcmurray hatchery) they behaved more like our layers, seemed to forage more and move around more in general. The roosters were pretty aggressive with me and the hens. The didn’t seem to blow through the feed as quickly but of course grew slower. They were more difficult to hand pluck and a lot feistier in general
The Cornish X grew amazingly fast but were very dirty I’d say and did not forage or move around much and instead just laid near the feeders. They were much easier to process as far as plucking and handling went. I also liked that they all looked the same and had no distinct personalities( made me not get attached to any of them)

The real test will be the taste! We haven’t had any yet but I’m planning on roasting 1 of each and doing a side by side comparison

I also think since the Cornish x grew out faster they were more cost effective

I bought a few Cornish Roasters from M Mc M hatchery that are a slightly slower growing version of the cornish cross. They couldn't be much slower. They were extremely dirty and as said about they looked like they were clones with 0 differences until they were beyond normal butchering weight. There was one pullet that would run to me and I would pick her up to eye level and talk to her and put her down. She would take a step away and then come back to ride the elevator up again. She got three rides and I had to tell her no more because she was well beyond 12-14 lbs. She will not be used for meat but as a breeder. Not to a Cornish bird but to a White Giant. I love the genes that Cornish bring to the coops but not their dirty butts. We hand processed a big rooster of over 20lbs for my daughter to use as dog food. She told us it was real rubbery. I can believe that but I bet the dogs loved it. I too and waiting to hear about the taste comparison. I've seen this once before but I'll believe it better here than by someone getting paid to do it.

Back
Top Bottom