Sudden death, need advice

Lizzieo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Hartford, CT
I have a flock of 6 birds (well now 5) 3 that are al little over a year and three that are 13 weeks. This morning when I went to collect eggs and change the water one of the 13 week olds was dead on the floor of the coop. She was a Barred Rock and seems fine yesterday, they all free range in my backyard and were our for several hours yesterday looking fine. She did not have any visible marks or wounds so I am baffled.

My question is what should I look out for? Should I worry about the other five? I am leaving on vacation in two days and have a chicken sitter and I don't want her to worry either. Ack! Any advice would be most welcome.

We lost one of our Barred Rocks & one of our Sex Links unexpectedly too. Both instances were about 6 months apart, but we left for the day & all was fine, came home & found them. I can only suggest you make sure the coop is clean & that there were no wounds. Sometimes, they just don't make it, & it's tough not knowing why.

No wounds that I found and I made sure to clean well after I took her out of the coop. Thanks for the reply, it is tough not knowing why, harder will be telling my daughter as this one was hers. :(

Back
Top Bottom